Student or Learner
I have a number of questions on this sentence.
1) Is it correct? Is there any mistake?
2) Can important other issues be changed into other important issues? Does this change the meaning of the sentence?
3) What is the meaning of play into the reasons?
I can't find the phrasal verb play into in any dictionary. I can only find the idiom play into the hands of somebody.
4) Does play into have a general meaning as a phrasal verb?
5) Is reasons that preferable to reasons why?
6) Does the phrase miss its greater significance sound good English?
7) Can I replace miss with other verbs such as disregard, neglect, overlook without changing the meaning?
I do realize that's a lot of questions; hence I will be even more thankful than usual for your replies.
Last edited by Englishlanguage; 16-May-2010 at 20:25.
Anyway, how can I rephrase it to make it acceptable?
This is my first attempt to rephrase it.
Context: There is an important article which according to the author has been disregarded in some important aspects that he intends to focus on. Before he passes on to those aspects, he wants to give reasons to explain why scholars disregarded the greater significance of the article. He already mentioned and explained one. Now he explains some others.
Two other important issues may explain why scholars have missed its greater significance
How does that sound?