Play into the reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
I have a number of questions on this sentence.

deleted

1) Is it correct? Is there any mistake?
2) Can important other issues be changed into other important issues? Does this change the meaning of the sentence?
3) What is the meaning of play into the reasons?
I can't find the phrasal verb play into in any dictionary. I can only find the idiom play into the hands of somebody.
4) Does play into have a general meaning as a phrasal verb?
5) Is reasons that preferable to reasons why?
6) Does the phrase miss its greater significance sound good English?
7) Can I replace miss with other verbs such as disregard, neglect, overlook without changing the meaning?

I do realize that's a lot of questions; hence I will be even more thankful than usual for your replies.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

There are two important other issues that play into the reasons that scholars have missed its greater significance

2) Can important other issues be changed into other important issues? Does this change the meaning of the sentence?
I can't find the phrasal verb play into in any dictionary. I can only find the idiom play into the hands of somebody.
5) Is reasons that preferable to reasons why?
7) Can I replace miss with other verbs such as disregard, neglect, overlook without changing the meaning?

I do realize that's a lot of questions; hence I will be even more thankful than usual for your replies.
It's a very poor sentence, where did you find it?

Member Type
Student or Learner
It's a very poor sentence, where did you find it?

It is from a paper I have to revise. The point is that, although I am supposed to focus on the content, the language seems to be the big problem here. I cannot know the identity of the person who wrote it until I finish my revision but from this as well as from other sentences I assume he/she is not a native speaker. But the fact that I do not know who wrote the paper keeps me from amending some sentences and makes me doubt my own knowledge of English.
Anyway, how can I rephrase it to make it acceptable?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

There are two important other issues that play into the reasons that scholars have missed its greater significance
The problem here is that the sentence is wrong, and you are supposed to rewrite it without knowing what is means. The only way to do that is to assume what it means, then correct it so that it says that.

Yes, there are plenty.
2) Can important other issues be changed into other important issues? Yes, I would do this.

Does this change the meaning of the sentence?
No, it just puts these words in the right order.

It's a bad phrase. I wouldn't use it.
Not that I can think of. Certainly none that are useful here.
5) Is reasons that preferable to reasons why? Yes, almost always.
Tell me why he did that = Tell me the reason [that] he did that.
NOT Tell me the reason why he did that.
Yes, it's alright.
Yes.
So, with that information, can you make a better sentence?
You will have to make some assumptions about what it means (as I would if I rewrote it).
Let's know what you come up with now.

Member Type
Student or Learner
So, with that information, can you make a better sentence?
You will have to make some assumptions about what it means (as I would if I rewrote it).
Let's know what you come up with now.

Thank you so much for your comments.

This is my first attempt to rephrase it.

Context: There is an important article which according to the author has been disregarded in some important aspects that he intends to focus on. Before he passes on to those aspects, he wants to give reasons to explain why scholars disregarded the greater significance of the article. He already mentioned and explained one. Now he explains some others.

Two other important issues may explain why scholars have missed its greater significance

How does that sound?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you so much for your comments.

This is my first attempt to rephrase it.

Context: There is an important article which according to the author has been disregarded in some important aspects that he intends to focus on. Before he passes on to those aspects, he wants to give reasons to explain why scholars disregarded the greater significance of the article. He already mentioned and explained one. Now he explains some others.

Two other important issues may explain why scholars have missed its greater significance

How does that sound?
That's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.