how to pronounce the "tr-" sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

missbambooo

Member Type
Student or Learner
My ESL teacher tells me that I have problem pronouncing words beginning with "tr." Specifically, she says sometimes I make it sound like "tw" in "twenty" When I say "train" it sounds like "twain". She teaches me to pronounce that sound by saying a "t" then a "r" really fast. Thus "train" would sound like a fast version of "terrain", "track" as "terack" etc. I don't know because it just seems kind of weird to me since I've always pronounced it like a full "tr" sound not like "t" and "r" combined. However when I do the "terrain" version for "train", my ESL teacher says it's much better than my normal "tr".
I can't really hear myself but I still think "tr" sounds better "t-r", but my teacher just thinks the opposite. I can't say that she's wrong and I'm right because I'm not a native English speaker while she is. I'm just confused. can someone tell me how to pronounce it properly? thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My ESL teacher tells me that I have problem pronouncing words beginning with "tr." Specifically, she says sometimes I make it sound like "tw" in "twenty" When I say "train" it sounds like "twain". She teaches me to pronounce that sound by saying a "t" then a "r" really fast. Thus "train" would sound like a fast version of "terrain", "track" as "terack" etc. I don't know because it just seems kind of weird to me since I've always pronounced it like a full "tr" sound not like "t" and "r" combined. However when I do the "terrain" version for "train", my ESL teacher says it's much better than my normal "tr".
I can't really hear myself but I still think "tr" sounds better "t-r", but my teacher just thinks the opposite. I can't say that she's wrong and I'm right because I'm not a native English speaker while she is. I'm just confused. can someone tell me how to pronounce it properly? thanks.
It's not uncommon for even native speakers to have an /r/ that tends to /w/. A good example is the cartoon character Elmer Fudd, who calls Bugs Bunny a "wascally wabbit". It's not easy to overcome.
If your teacher tells you you sound better, it's worth trying for a while since she is there to monitor your progress.
If you're not convinced, find yourself a tape-recorder, or record your voice on your computer and listen to it yourself.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1751950522074936560#docid=1661954687975599938

EhabIsaac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
hmm, ya you can say train as twain but try to get the "r" as 2% with the W .. Like hmm lemme Record my voice lol ..

um okay

listen how do i pronounce Train, Tragedy and Training.

tr.mp3

Hint : I'm not a native speaker ..

Dacre

Member Type
Academic
Personally, when I say train, it's almost as if I am saying "chrain."
If you have to break it into two syllables to improve, I think a better approximation would be cha-rain (train), cha-ry (try), etc.

But, as you said, it's important that it is said quickly or it will sound odd. You're right it is pronounced as a combination, not as t-r, but often times that is better than saying it as "Tw" because people often find a pronunciation of Tr as Tw humorous (unfortunately).

yangmuye

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Macau
English tr is usually affricative.
Vietnamese has a tr[tʂ] sound, which is similar to English tr. However, it has a allomorph [ʈ].

Always try to make an affricative[tʂ] instead of a pure stop [ʈ].

Status
Not open for further replies.