What kind of movies or music can progress my English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Many people tell me that watch movie or listen to music can progress my Englsish, but I don't know what kind of movie and music are good to me.Can you introduced me?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Many people tell me that watch movie or listen to music can progress my Englsish, but I don't know what kind of movie and music are good to me.Can you introduced me?
Listening to classical music or instrumentals is probably less harmful than listening to pop songs.
Movies are more useful. Try dramas, where the words are important, rather than action films. Comedies probably have too much wordplay for a beginner. But in general, just watch what you enjoy.

Jailun

Member Type
Student or Learner
like what movie and music?
there are so many movies and music that I don't know what can I choose:cry:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
like what movie and music?
there are so many movies and music that I don't know what can I choose:cry:

I agree with the previous poster that music is probably not a good thing to choose. Song lyricists frequently use very ungrammatical English, as they need to fit the words to the rhythm and consequently they don't worry about the grammar. My favourite example of this is The Rolling Stones' "I Can't Get No Satisfaction"! If you used that to try to learn English, even the title would have you at a disadvantage right from the beginning!

As far as movies are concerned, surely you know what films/genre of films you enjoy in your own language. My suggestion to start with would be to choose a film you already like, get it on DVD with the capacity to change the language and have subtitles, then watch it with the language changed to English. Use the English subtitles too, at first, then watch it only with the English speech on.

It's impossible to recommend specific films if we don't know what you like!

Jailun

Member Type
Student or Learner
How about radio and BBC?
Are they better than music and movies?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used to encourage my adult students to watch episodes of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. It was a children's show, but Mr. Rogers spoke very slowly and clearly, and he also visited different places (a dentist's office, a voting booth, etc) where he would explain the specific tools and processes involved, which was a very good vocabulary-building exercise. You can probably find some of his shows on YouTube or for rent on DVD.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about radio and BBC?
Are they better than music and movies?

For comprehension, I would say yes. If you access the BBC online, especially the World Service or other channels that are almost all spoken, you will develop an "ear" for the language, even if you don't understand every word. It's important to become accustomed to the rhythm and the speech patterns of a foreign language as well as the words.

Status
Not open for further replies.