Pronouncing linked words

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurelius

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello! I was wondering where to look up rules regarding pronouncing linked words? Taking the words from the pronunciation dictionary is the easy part, but I'm really puzzled as to how to link them together? If you could help me with reference points or links or examples or anything, that would be brilliant! :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello! I was wondering where to look up rules regarding pronouncing linked words? Taking the words from the pronunciation dictionary is the easy part, but I'm really puzzled as to how to link them together? If you could help me with reference points or links or examples or anything, that would be brilliant! :)
You might have to tell us what you mean by linked words.

aurelius

Member Type
Student or Learner
For example, if I'm transcribing this sentence:
As Mars moves into your house of relationships, you'll be more exclusive about whom you let in to your inner circle.

I know how to do it by going through the pronunciation dictionary and picking out the words, but I'm not sure how to apply connected-speech phenomena such as coalescence, elision, or assimilation?
What is that sentence supposed to look like, when transcribed correctly? :/

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As Mars moves into your house of relationships, you'll be more exclusive about whom you let in to your inner circle.

I know how to do it by going through the pronunciation dictionary and picking out the words, but I'm not sure how to apply connected-speech phenomena such as coalescence, elision, or assimilation?

Are you trying to type the sentence phonetically?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

/æz ma:z muvz ɪntu jɔ: haʊs ǝv ri’leɪʃǝn,ʃɪps/ ...
That's how I say the first part.
Whether you transcribe "moves into" as /[FONT=&quot]muvz ɪntu/ [FONT=&quot]muvz’ɪntu [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/muv'zɪntu[/FONT]/ or something else, depends on the exact sound recording you're transcribing, and your ear.

[/FONT] If there is an intruded /j/ or /w/ as in "your inner circle" - /jɔ: rinǝ sɜ:kǝl/ or "our astrology" - /aʊ wǝstrɒlǝʤi:/, then you transcribe it. But it would be wrong to suggest that it is 'correct' to put a /j/ or /w/ here for English in general.

But if you know words like "coalescence, elision, or assimilation", then you're probably already aware of this.
If this isn't what you mean, maybe you could give some examples.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

aurelius

Member Type
Student or Learner
I see. Thank you for making it clearer for me! I just started studying phonetics so I'm still having some difficulties :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
/...But if you know words like "coalescence, elision, or assimilation", then you're probably already aware of this.
If this isn't what you mean, maybe you could give some examples.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

:up: Good point. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.