Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,
I need to find a synonym to this expression but I cannot find it anywhere, dictionaries give only the meaning of the noun 'grunge'.
The context taken from the Newsweek is as follows: The Swedish version of The Girl With theDragon Tattoo stars a gritty, butch Noomi Rapace as heroine Lisbeth Salander, while Kristen Stewart is rumored to be in contention for the American version. No matter how much Stewart grunges herself up for the part, it would be hard not to think, hey, there's Bella from Twilight with greasy hair and torn cuticles.

Thank you for any comment

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this example it means to make herself (her physical appearance) look poorly, unkempt.

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,
I need to find a synonym to this expression but I cannot find it anywhere, dictionaries give only the meaning of the noun 'grunge'.
The context taken from the Newsweek is as follows: The Swedish version of The Girl With theDragon Tattoo stars a gritty, butch Noomi Rapace as heroine Lisbeth Salander, while Kristen Stewart is rumored to be in contention for the American version. No matter how much Stewart grunges herself up for the part, it would be hard not to think, hey, there's Bella from Twilight with greasy hair and torn cuticles.

Thank you for any comment
There is the noun 'grunge' and the adjective 'grungy'.
The second means: a/ shabby or dirty in character or condition,
b/ characteristic of grunge music or fashion.
Slang: filth, dirt.
It seems to me that the journalist used 'grunge' as a verb.
S.M.

Kamila M

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Status
Not open for further replies.