Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hi again!

If I'm talking to several people, what's the right expression: Enjoy your week end or Enjoy your week-ends? (They aren't going to spend the week-end together).

------------

Another question: If I'm saying good bye to someone and the conversation is taking place (Takes place?) on a Tuesday, can I say "Have a nice week-end" or would it be better to say "Have a nice end of the week?" (In this case, I'm not refering to Saturday and Sunday).

Cheers
W

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) "Enjoy your weekend" is OK.
2) It's early enough in the week to say, "Enjoy your week", "Enjoy the rest of your week", "Have a great week". But on Wednesday or Thursday I would say, "Enjoy the rest of your week".

Will17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Another question: If I'm saying good bye to someone and the conversation is taking place (Takes place?) on a Tuesday, can I say "Have a nice week-end" or would it be better to say "Have a nice end of the week?"

Which is the right tense in this case: the Present simple or Continuous?

Cheers

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In your example on Tuesday, if you had been discussing something special occurring on the weekend, then "Have a nice weekend" would be appropriate. Otherwise, "have a nice/great rest of the week".

Will17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK

If I'm saying good bye to someone and the conversation is taking place (Takes place?) on Tuesday, can I say "Have a nice week-end"?

Cheers

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If I'm saying good bye to someone and the conversation is taking place (Takes place?) on Tuesday, can I say "Have a nice week-end"?

Cheers

'is taking place' - it is ongoing with 'I'm saying' so is in the same tense. Note: 'goodbye' and 'weekend' are each 1 word.

Status
Not open for further replies.