Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Hello to everyone.
I wrote the following sentence but I am not sure if it is correct or not.

"This was a constructive discussion with many arguments raised, please allow the last summarizing speech for each side"

I would like to thank you in advance.
Best Regards
Alex.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello to everyone.
I wrote the following sentence but I am not sure if it is correct or not.

"This was a constructive discussion with many arguments raised, please allow the last summarizing speech for each side"

I would like to thank you in advance.
Best Regards
Alex.
"This has been a constructive discussion with many arguments raised, each side will now make a summarizing speech." I think this is what you are trying to say.

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
"This has been a constructive discussion with many arguments raised, each side will now make a summarizing speech." I think this is what you are trying to say.

Thanks for your update. Could you please help me understand why was is not correct? Do you imply as there is a connection between past and simple I have to use present perfect.

Best Regards
Alex.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for your update. Could you please help me understand why was is not correct? Do you imply as there is a connection between past and simple I have to use present perfect.

Best Regards
Alex.
Because this seems to be an ongoing situation, rather than a reference to something which is finished, I think the present perfect is appropriate.

Last edited:

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Because this seems to be an ongoing situation, rather a reference to something which is finished, I think the present perfect is appropriate.

I would like to thank you for your update. I appreciate that you as others spend your time for helping others.

All the Best
Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.