Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Can we use two gerunds in a sentence like this:

He firmly believes in an unhurried harmoniously classical way of keeping telling the stories.

THANKS A LOT

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can we use two gerunds in a sentence like this:

He firmly believes in an unhurried harmoniously classical way of keeping telling the stories.

THANKS A LOT
It's not a good sentence. Here are a couple of suggestions:
"He firmly believes in an unhurried, harmoniously classical way of telling the stories."
"He firmly believes in an unhurried, harmoniously classical type of story telling."
There are other possible ways to say it, it depends on exactly what you want to convey.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"He firmly believes in an unhurried, harmoniously classical way of telling the stories."

I wonder what it means - telling a story in a harmoniously classical way.

Keeping telling is wrong. It's 'keep telling'. Even this does not fit the sentence.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

I wonder what it means - telling a story in a harmoniously classical way.

Keeping telling is wrong. It's 'keep telling'. Even this does not fit the sentence.

Yes, it's "keep telling," but in the sentence there is a preposition before keep, what seems to force the following verb in gerund, hence my doubt with the second gerund. So, it seems it is required the searching of new ways to say to avoid the two gerunds together, isn't it?

The text is talking about the old way of telling stories in cinema, mainly in Europe, with helmers like Visconti or Fellini. These movies were harmonious as for their mise en scene, and with a more slow pacing. They are classics now.

Thanks for your interest

Status
Not open for further replies.