Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I found the sentence in a newspaper: "But it is no use us telling you about the paper. You must decide yourself."

Those sentences are correct, I know. But the use of "us" in the first sentence giving me hard time. I know what it means, and also know it is also grammatically correct. But I want you please explain this use a little bit as i am not well versed with it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I found the sentence in a newspaper: "But it is no use us telling you about the paper. You must decide yourself."

Those sentences are correct, I know. But the use of "us" in the first sentence giving me hard time. I know what it means, and also know it is also grammatically correct. But I want you please explain this use a little bit as i am not well versed with it.
"But it is no use us telling you about the paper."
"But it is no use our telling you about the paper."
"Us/Our telling you about the paper is of no use."
"There's no purpose in us/our telling you ..."

Are you worried about 'us' rather than 'our', or 'us' rather than 'we', or something else?

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
All of them.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
But it is no use us telling you about the paper

is the same as

But it is no use for us to tell you about the paper.
But it is no use our telling you about the paper.

There are just different ways of expressing the same thing.

not a teacher

Last edited:

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Got this explanation:
When a pronoun is subject of a gerund-participial clause, it can be either accusative or genitive:

(1) Us/Our telling you about the paper is no use. [clause is subject of main verb 'is'; 'us' or 'our' is subject of verb 'telling']
(2) They objected to us/our telling you about the paper. [clause is complement of preposition 'to']

People might have different preferences about whether to use 'us' or 'our', but both are very common in standard English.

In your original sentence, the subject of (1) has been displaced to the end, and a dummy 'it' has been added as new subject. You could do the same thing with 'our':

(3) But it is no use our telling you about the paper. [clause is displaced subject]

Are those completely correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.