Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #1

    Question logic problem

    Recently, I feel I have a serious problem. When I talk to people, I can't express my ideaclearly right away. Maybe my logic is so bad. I want to improve my logic ability, what can I do ?

  1. TheJoker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 26
    #2

    Re: logic problem

    Recently, I feel I have a serious problem. When I talk to people, I can't express my ideaclearly right away. Maybe my logic is so bad. I want to improve my logic ability, what can I do ?
    What exactly do you mean? You can't express your thoughts?

    If so you should read more books and use phrases from them?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: logic problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Claradai View Post
    Recently, I feel I have a serious problem. When I talk to people, I can't express my ideaclearly right away. Maybe my logic is so bad. I want to improve my logic ability, what can I do ?
    With talking, it's not as easy as with writing.
    With writing, you need to read over what you've written, and try to pretend you have never seen the sentences before. Pretend you are someone else. Ask yourself what another person would understand from your words. If that is different from what you meant, then you need to change it.

    In speaking, you could ask the hearer to paraphrase back to you what you said. If it's not what you meant, you should try to rephrase it until the person understands the exact message that you intend. You'll need to find someone with patience to do this with though!

    Of course, you can also write short passages and post them here, and ask whether they sound logical, and if not, what errors you've made.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #4

    Re: logic problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    With talking, it's not as easy as with writing.
    With writing, you need to read over what you've written, and try to pretend you have never seen the sentences before. Pretend you are someone else. Ask yourself what another person would understand from your words. If that is different from what you meant, then you need to change it.

    In speaking, you could ask the hearer to paraphrase back to you what you said. If it's not what you meant, you should try to rephrase it until the person understands the exact message that you intend. You'll need to find someone with patience to do this with though!

    Of course, you can also write short passages and post them here, and ask whether they sound logical, and if not, what errors you've made.
    monther language problems. for example, there is a sentence and the structure what I say or write, it is easy to understand for the people who use the same mother language with you because you have same culture,your logic may be like him or her. However , for a foreigner,both of you may have problems on conversation. Therefore, I want to find a way to break the distances between I and her.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #5

    Re: logic problem

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    What exactly do you mean? You can't express your thoughts?

    If so you should read more books and use phrases from them?
    I can express what I thought, but I need to pay more time than ordinary people. It seems what I thought it is not like most people in this world. My friends say my character is too clueless. when we chat about one topic〈such as shopping〉, next second I will suddently change topic〈such as is there any homework today〉. do you think I ignore my friend and do not respect her? when I thought one thing , I will be eager to talk to people because I am afraid that I will forget.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #6

    Re: logic problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Claradai View Post
    I can express what I thought, but I need to pay more time than ordinary people. It seems what I thought it is not like most people in this world. My friends say my character is too clueless. when we chat about one topic〈such as shopping〉, next second I will suddently change topic〈such as is there any homework today〉. do you think I ignore my friend and do not respect her? when I thought one thing , I will be eager to talk to people because I am afraid that I will forget.
    It sounds like more of a concentration problem, than a language problem! When a conversation starts, make sure that you take note of the subject, listen to what other people are saying and don't worry so much about what you're going to say next, especially if it's not relevant. Try not to change the subject in the middle of a conversation - you're right, it can seem rude.

    If something that you are thinking about is so important, then you won't forget it, but you can start a conversation about it later.

    Maybe you could carry a small notebook with you all the time. When you think of something that you really want to talk about later, make a very quick note of the subject in the book and when it's appropriate, start talking about it.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: logic problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Claradai View Post
    mother language problems. for example, there is a sentence and the structure what I say or write, it is easy to understand for the people who use the same mother language as you because you have same culture,your logic may be like his or hers. However, for a foreigner, both of you may have problems on conversation. Therefore, I want to find a way to break the distances between me and her.
    Are you saying that you don't have trouble with your mother language? And you do have trouble communicating in English because English-speaking people use a different logic and a different culture?

    I don't know if this is necessarily true. Certainly, it has been found in academic papers that English-speaking people do use a more direct, linear mode of communication, whereas Chinese writers tend to be more discursive. But other Chinese students here seem to cope with English logic fairly well, and some are more logical than native speakers.
    I still think it's a case of choosing your words better, to express exactly what you intend. It would be easier to give you some advice if you could give specific examples of where you are not being understood.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #8

    Re: logic problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Are you saying that you don't have trouble with your mother language? And you do have trouble communicating in English because English-speaking people use a different logic and a different culture?

    I don't know if this is necessarily true. Certainly, it has been found in academic papers that English-speaking people do use a more direct, linear mode of communication, whereas Chinese writers tend to be more discursive. But other Chinese students here seem to cope with English logic fairly well, and some are more logical than native speakers.
    I still think it's a case of choosing your words better, to express exactly what you intend. It would be easier to give you some advice if you could give specific examples of where you are not being understood.
    one time , I need to ask my english teacther a problem about homeworks. in that class he describe two kinds of homeworks (A homework and B homework) both of them we need to do. however, I have a problem on one of them(B homework).the B homework stipulate the pages between 7 pages and 12pages and I think teacther talks the context soon, I can't easily understand what he need us to do. Therefore, I asked him " sorry, I can't understand the homework about 7pages to 12pages.what kind of it?"However, he did not understand what I mean. he say you just do 7pages to 12 pages. I disappoint for my expressing. finally, my classmates help me express what I mean to teacther. Although it done, I still feel so embarrrassing.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #9

    Re: logic problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Are you saying that you don't have trouble with your mother language? And you do have trouble communicating in English because English-speaking people use a different logic and a different culture?

    I don't know if this is necessarily true. Certainly, it has been found in academic papers that English-speaking people do use a more direct, linear mode of communication, whereas Chinese writers tend to be more discursive. But other Chinese students here seem to cope with English logic fairly well, and some are more logical than native speakers.
    I still think it's a case of choosing your words better, to express exactly what you intend. It would be easier to give you some advice if you could give specific examples of where you are not being understood.
    in fact, I also have trouble with my mother language. however. it is not more serious than my second language. therefore, I ask a problem about it.I agree with your point (English-speaking people do use a more direct, linear mode of communication, Chinese writers tend to be more discursive.)This is why I express a thought to English-speaking people seems stranger than other people.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #10

    Re: logic problem

    Did you try speaking more slowly? I'm not sure what your problem is exactly, but this can solve many of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Four tenses problem
    By ben9108 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2010, 03:49
  2. Much problem
    By My Secrets Keeper in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2005, 06:18
  3. No Problem / No Problems
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2004, 12:05
  4. Problem / Uncountable
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2004, 13:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •