1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Q

The rise of the blog has transformed the very idea of transparency. There was a time when the worst thing that could happen to an organization with nasty secrets was the emergence of a determined and credible insider with the ear of a respected journalist.

Q : In the 'insider with the ear of a respected journalist', dose that indicate 'journalist is willing to listen to insider'?
    Last edited by beaware; 26-May-2010 at 07:09. Reason: answer required newly

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: Q

Quote Originally Posted by beaware View Post
    The rise of the blog has transformed the very idea of transparency. There was a time when the worst thing that could happen to an organization with nasty secrets was the emergence of a determined and credible insider with the ear of a respected journalist.

Q : In the 'with the ear of a respected journalist', I think 'ear' indicates 'willingness to listen' rather than an example like 'an ear for music or language'? Is it right?
    I think it refers literally to the ear of the journalist. The credible insider tells the journalist what (s)he needs to know about the corrupt company to publish it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Both the actual ear and the metaphorical one. A whistle-blower might talk to a journalist (traditionally in an underground carpark ), but s/he might just write. S/he has unfetterd access to a journalist, and knows that the journalist will pay attention.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by MASM View Post
    I think it refers literally to the ear of the journalist.
    "He has the ear of a respected journalist."
    I'm pretty sure that this isn't literal. Does he keep it in a jar beside his bed?
    I'd call it a metonym.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "He has the ear of a respected journalist."
    I'm pretty sure that this isn't literal. Does he keep it in a jar beside his bed?
    I'd call it a metonym.
    hahahahaha yes, what I meant was that it wasn't like in the sentence "He has an ear for music for example". It has actually something to do with the ear of the journalist if (s)he hears what the insider has to say.
    Last edited by MASM; 22-May-2010 at 11:36.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by MASM View Post
    hahahahaha yes, what I meant was that it wasn't like in the sentence "He has an ear for music for example". I has actually something to do with the ear of the journalist if (s)he hears what the insider has to say.
    Yes - at first I thought your literal interpretation was just wrong; but then I thought an actual ear might sometimes be involved.

b