Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Turkey
I tried to translate one of Einstein's quatations. Please, correct if there is any mistake.

“ İf you ask me a question and give an hour, I spend 45 minutes in reading and understanding the question, 10 minutes in finding out the solution and the rest of the time I spend in solving it".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I tried to translate one of Einstein's quatations. Please, correct if there is any mistake.

“ İf you ask me a question and give me an hour, I spend 45 minutes [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] reading and understanding the question, 10 minutes [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] finding out the solution and the rest of the time I spend [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] solving it".

I have made amendments to the grammar above. The only problem I have with it is that "finding out the solution" and "solving" are the same thing. Unless Einstein was trying to be funny, I think either the "10 minutes" or the "rest of the time" would have to say something else.

happys82

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Turkey
What about this?

İf you ask me a question and give me an hour, I spend 45 minutes reading and understanding the question, 10 minutes finding out the ways of solution and the rest of the time I spend solving it".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What about this?

İf you ask me a question and give me an hour, I spend 45 minutes reading and understanding the question, 10 minutes finding out the ways of solution and the rest of the time I spend solving it".

Maybe "...10 minutes working out how to solve it..."

Status
Not open for further replies.