Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. Ferdie11's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #1

    You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    Hi,

    Is my idea below correct?

    Synonyms of of any kind

    You will have no identifying marks of any kind.

    Is the same thing as saying, you will have no identifying marks in any way.

    Many thanks.

  2. Ferdie11's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #2

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    So without "of any kind" the sentence would still make sense?

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #3

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdie11 View Post
    So without "of any kind" the sentence would still make sense?
    As explained above, the problem with this sentence is the use of "You will have". It is impossible to say that someone will have no identifying marks in the future - anything might happen causing them to have scars or other "identifying marks".

    "Of any kind" is fine, but you can only speak of "identifying marks" either in the past or the future. For example:

    I had no identifying marks of any kind when I was born, but now I have a huge scar on my face.

    I have no identifying marks of any kind at the moment, but who knows what might happen tomorrow?!

  4. Ferdie11's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #4

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdie11 View Post
    Hi,

    Is my idea below correct?

    Synonyms of of any kind

    You will have no identifying marks of any kind.

    Is the same thing as saying, you will have no identifying marks in any way.

    Many thanks.
    Ok. Thank you. But, actually, my question here is "Do the sentences below the same in meaning?"

    1.You will have no identifying marks of any kind
    2. You will have no identifying marks in any way.

    Many thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #5

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    The 2nd sentence doesn't sound right to me. I think (but note fellow teachers, am not 100% certain) that 'in any way' is an adverbial phrase that qualifies a verb of action; 'have' is not a verb of action so it doesn't work - cf 'he won't mark you in any way' = 'he won't mark you to any extent whatsoever'.

    The 1st sentence is fine but note here you are using an adjectival phrase, 'of any kind'; you're talking about the nature of the marks and not the extent of the marking.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    "You will have no identifying marks of any kind."

    I don't see the problem with this if it's used in the right context.
    A surgeon might be promising someone this before he removes someone tattoos.

    It could also be a command rather than a prediction or a promise.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #7

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "You will have no identifying marks of any kind."
    As I said, I agree - this is perfectly fine

    I don't see the problem with this if it's used in the right context.
    A surgeon might be promising someone this before he removes someone tattoos.

    It could also be a command rather than a prediction or a promise.
    Bertie

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    "You will have no identifying marks of any kind."
    As I said, I agree - this is perfectly fine

    Bertie
    I wasn't disagreeing with you (this time).
    I was questioning the interpretation of earlier posters. My post simply appeared below yours. If I want to disagree with you, I'll quote you. That is what most posters do.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #9

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I wasn't disagreeing with you (this time).
    I was questioning the interpretation of earlier posters. My post simply appeared below yours. If I want to disagree with you, I'll quote you. That is what most posters do. Ah, OK, you'll have to excuse me: I only joined this forum 2 days ago. Fun, isn't it?
    Bertie

  7. Ferdie11's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #10

    Re: You will have no identifying marks of any kind

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    The 2nd sentence doesn't sound right to me. I think (but note fellow teachers, am not 100% certain) that 'in any way' is an adverbial phrase that qualifies a verb of action; 'have' is not a verb of action so it doesn't work - cf 'he won't mark you in any way' = 'he won't mark you to any extent whatsoever'.

    The 1st sentence is fine but note here you are using an adjectival phrase, 'of any kind'; you're talking about the nature of the marks and not the extent of the marking.
    So 'he won't mark you to any extent whatsoever' is the correct one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] "... Kind of sth" is very difficult!
    By ilovepsycho in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2009, 05:28
  2. CAN ANY ONE CHECK MY ANSWERS
    By tonyheaney in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2009, 21:01
  3. kind of
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-May-2007, 06:42
  4. Using kind of
    By piggy386 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2004, 20:18
  5. was kind to
    By FW in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Dec-2003, 00:37

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •