• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

up to sb

Can we say about someone that "Nobody is up to him" in the sense that "nobody is like him in his high morals and sweet character?

I want to know if that strucuture is right in this context coz I found so many meaning for "up to sb" but I just need to if my example is right and if there are any suggestions.

Thanks a lot
    waiting for your reply

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Re: up to sb

***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

Nobody's compared to him would be what you've been looking for. When it comes to defining to be a man of high moral values and to be sweet as one trait [I can't imagine any languages that have something (a word or phrase) to melts these traits in the same pot.], it is a bit strange. That doesn't mean that one can't have these traits at the same time (,which you can look up to someone like this), but as I mentioned before, I don't think that there is one word or one phrase for that.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    ***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

Nobody's compared to him would be what you've been looking for. When it comes to defining to be a man of high moral values and to be sweet as one trait [I can't imagine any languages that have something (a word or phrase) to melts these traits in the same pot.], it is a bit strange. That doesn't mean that one can't have these traits at the same time (,which you can look up to someone like this), but as I mentioned before, I don't think that there is one word or one phrase for that.
    The quote here should be "Nobody compares/can compare to him". (Nobody's compared to him means something different.)

I agree that having high moral values, and having a sweet character, are two unconnected things so are unlikely to have a phrase that covers both.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

'Nobody is up to his standards' - there you go!