Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello!

The vase was knocked down for £5000. (OALD)

Is it possible to use ‘at’ instead of ‘for’ in the sentence above?

Thanks in advance

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello!

The vase was knocked down for £5000. (OALD)

Is it possible to use ‘at’ instead of ‘for’ in the sentence above?

Thanks in advance
I can't see any reason why not.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm confused by the meaning of the sentence, regardless of whether you use "at" or "for".

"The vase was knocked down for £5000" means to me that someone was paid £5000 to knock the vase to the ground! (Similar to "His wife was murdered for £10,000"!)

"The vase was knocked down, at £5000" (note the comma) would mean that the vase was on sale at a reduced price, now £5,000.

If the vase had previously been on sale at a higher price you can say "The vase was knocked down to £5,000".

In order to use "for" I would have to change the sentence to "The vase was on sale for £5,000, a knock-down price".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm confused by the meaning of the sentence, regardless of whether you use "at" or "for".

"The vase was knocked down for £5000" means to me that someone was paid £5000 to knock the vase to the ground! (Similar to "His wife was murdered for £10,000"!)

"The vase was knocked down, at £5000" (note the comma) would mean that the vase was on sale at a reduced price, now £5,000.

If the vase had previously been on sale at a higher price you can say "The vase was knocked down to £5,000".

In order to use "for" I would have to change the sentence to "The vase was on sale for £5,000, a knock-down price".
I believe "knocked down" is the technical term used when auctioneers knock their gavel to signify that bidding is over.
In this case, I think 'at' and 'for' both work, but 'at' is part of the technical term - to knock something down at a certain price.

knock-down: Definition from Answers.com

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I believe "knocked down" is the technical term used when auctioneers knock their gavel to signify that bidding is over.
In this case, I think 'at' and 'for' both work, but 'at' is part of the technical term - to knock something down at a certain price.

knock-down: Definition from Answers.com

Aha! In that case, I understand! Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
At works better for me than for as an auctioneer stops at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.