Question make up

There are many meanings about make up. Please give me some examples or I would misunderstand.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: make up

Quote Originally Posted by ashley42430 View Post
    There are many meanings about make up. Please give me some examples or I would misunderstand.
    First, tell us the different meanings that you already know and how you would use them!

Wink Re: make up

1.It means girls use makeup.
    2.copy, fake
    3.consist of

Actually, I didn't know all make up meanings, and therefor I need some body give me explain and examples in English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

1. It means girls use makeup. (Noun) Yes. Make-up is another word for cosmetics. Note that it normally has a hyphen. Also remember that some boys/men use make-up too!

2. copy, fake - (Verb) Not really "copy". It's more like "to invent". I made up a story to explain why I didn't go to work = I invented a story

3. consist of - (Verb) This is normally used in the passive "to be made up of..." For example "The team will be made up of 5 men and 4 women".

Actually, I didn't don't know all make up the meanings of "make up", and therefore I need some body somebody to give me explain explanations and examples in English.
    See above. More meanings:

to make up = to become friends again after having an argument. "I had an argument with my boyfriend but it's OK, I think we'll make up!" There is a lovely phrase that is sometimes used with two children who have had a silly argument. Their parent/teacher might say "Come on, you two. Kiss and make up!" It means that they want the two children to forget the argument and be friends again.

to make up = to add an amount (of money, for example) so that the total reaches a specific amount. For example: "The bill is €100, but we only have €90 on the table. Don't worry. I'll make up the difference." This would mean that I am offering to add the extra €10 required so that we have €100 in total.

to make up = to put together/to construct. "I have made up a bag of clothes ready to take them to the charity shop." "I've been to Ikea and bought a bookshelf, which I need to make up tonight."

to make up = to apply make-up/cosmetics. "I'll be ready to go out as soon as I've made up". Note we would be more likely to say "....as soon as I've done my make-up".

to make up = to put in order/to tidy. You will see on the little signs that you hang on hotel room doors "Please make up my room". This is a request to the chambermaids, explaining that you would like them to come into the room and make the bed, clean the bathroom etc.

to make up for = to compensate. "I was very mean to a friend the other day, but I'm going to make up for it by taking her out for dinner tonight."

I'm sure someone else will come up with some more definitions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon, Ashley.

(1) If you are a student, you need to know this use of "make up" that is

used in American schools:

STUDENT: There is a big examination tomorrow, but I am very sick. I

cannot come to school tomorrow.

TEACHER: Please don't worry about it. You can MAKE UP the test / You

can MAKE it UP when you return. Your health is more important

than any test.

Make up a test = to take it another day instead of on the scheduled day.

Have a nice day!