• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Renumber

Is the verb "to renumber" used correctly in the following sentence:

In the course of the hearing the patent proprietors renumbered their ten subsidiary requests in one main request and nine subsidiary requests, and added two more subsidiary requests to these requests.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Renumber

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    Is the verb "to renumber" used correctly in the following sentence:

In the course of the hearing the patent proprietors renumbered their ten subsidiary requests in one main request and nine subsidiary requests, and added two more subsidiary requests to these requests. No 'renumber' is wrong here but I have a bigger problem with the overrepetition of 'request 'and the redundancy of use in this sentence. How about: 'In the course of the hearing the patent proprietors recategorised one of the ten subsidiary requests as the main request and submitted two further subsidiary requests.'?

Thanks.
    Bertie

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    Bertie
    I agree with you: it's a terrible-sounding sentence. I'm trying to translate something and my translation was too literal.

How about this:

In the course of the hearing the patent proprietors recast their ten subsidiary requests as one main request and nine subsidiary requests, and added two more subsidiary requests.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    I agree with you: it's a terrible-sounding sentence. I'm trying to translate something and my translation was too literal.

How about this:

In the course of the hearing the patent proprietors recast their ten subsidiary requests as one main request and nine subsidiary requests, and added two more subsidiary requests. I don't like this because you are saying more than is necessary - if only one subsidiary request is now a main request then it is self-evident that the other 9 remain subsidiary requests. Also, there's still excessive repetition: 'subsidiary request ... request ... subsidiary request ... subsidiary request'. Finally would you 'recast' a request? I think 'recategorise' is the most appropriate because there is a difference in status of the requests. Alternatively, I might possibly say 'reclassify'.
    Bertie