Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please please help me with my Celta language awareness task. I have finished the task, and need your advice. Thanks

1. (a.)Write down the mistake, (b.) write the corrected version, (c.) write in simple terms, as if speaking to a learner of English, how you would make the correction clear.

1.) -Have you got any money? –Yes, I’ve been to the bank yesterday.
a. I’ve been to
b. I went to the bank yesterday
c. Simple past used with expression refer to a finished time, like yesterday, last week

2.) –Is John ill? He’s lost a lot of weight. –Yes, he is rather slender these days, isn’t he?
a) Slender
b) Thin
c) Slender refer to people or their body thin in an attractive way, so not appropriate. (Not very sure about the answer)

3.) –Why didn’t you answer the telephone? –Because I had a bath.
a) I had a bath
b) I was in a bath/ I was having a bath (I am not sure which one is right)
c) ??

2. a) comment on the differences in meaning between the following pairs of sentences. B) Outline some ideas on how you might teach these differences in meaning.
a) If I had the money, I’d buy a new car. (unreal situation)
b) If I have the money, I’ll buy a new car. (future)

a) The house was very isolated. (remote)
b) The house was very secluded.(quiet)

a) Give me a hand with this bag, will you? (informal)
b) Could you give me a hand with this bag, please? (formal)

I can tell the differences in the meaning between the pairs of sentences, but in terms of ideas on how to teach the differences, shall I use other examples, or give pictures to illustrate the difference. I am not sure I sure write this. Can anybody give me an idea or an example, please?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK, take an example like pictures and think concretely what sort of pictures could you use to show the differences for each to a learner.

Status
Not open for further replies.