Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:

Which sentence is correct?

Sentence1:
Having lived in the US for 10 years between 1999 and 2009, I am able to speak fluent English.
Sentence2:
Having lived in the US for 10 years during the period between 1999 and 2009, I am able to speak fluent English.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:

Sentence1:
Having lived in the US for 10 years between 1999 and 2009, I am able to speak fluent English.
Sentence2:
Having lived in the US for 10 years during the period between 1999 and 2009, I am able to speak fluent English.

Thanks

"Between 1999 and 2009" is a period of time, so you don't need to add "during the period".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:

Sentence1:
Sentence2:

Thanks
If you're writing a CV, you don't want to waste words; 'during the period' is unnecessary here (and very often elsewhere - search the net for 'Dead wood').

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If for some reason you really want to use "the period", you could say "Having lived in the US for the period 1999-2009, I speak fluent English". It is clear that 1999-2009 is 10 years!

But I agree that extra words are just redundant and should be avoided, especially in job applications/CVs.

uktous

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
If for some reason you really want to use "the period", you could say "Having lived in the US for the period 1999-2009, I speak fluent English". It is clear that 1999-2009 is 10 years!

But I agree that extra words are just redundant and should be avoided, especially in job applications/CVs.

Thank you for all replies.

How about this?
Having lived in the US from 1999 to 2009 inclusive, I am able to speak fluent English.

Thank

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for all replies.

How about this?
Having lived in the US from 1999 to 2009 inclusive, I am able to speak fluent English.

Thank

Yes, that works too!

Status
Not open for further replies.