• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

For the time being

Does "for the time being" make sense in the following sentence?

"At the end of the oral proceedings on October 10, 2008, the plaintiffs sorted out their requests for the time being."

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: For the time being

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post

"At the end of the oral proceedings on October 10, 2008, the plaintiffs sorted out their requests for the time being."

Thanks.
    Not really, no. We use "for the time being" to show that something is probably a temporary state. For example:

I want to be a brain surgeon but, for the time being, I'm happy to be a nurse.

It shows that you have a desire/plan for something in the future but that, at the moment and for the foreseeable future, something else is true.

With your sentence, the only way I can see to incorporate it would be something like: At the end of the oral proceedings on Oct 10, 2008, the plaintiffs sorted out their requests. Their requests will remain the same for the time being.

This shows that there is a possibility that they will reorganise them in the future.

Basically, because "for the time being" involves the present and potentially moving into the future, it can't really be used with the past tense, as you did (sorted out their requests).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Not really, no. We use "for the time being" to show that something is probably a temporary state. For example:

I want to be a brain surgeon but, for the time being, I'm happy to be a nurse.

It shows that you have a desire/plan for something in the future but that, at the moment and for the foreseeable future, something else is true.

With your sentence, the only way I can see to incorporate it would be something like: At the end of the oral proceedings on Oct 10, 2008, the plaintiffs sorted out their requests. Their requests will remain the same for the time being.

This shows that there is a possibility that they will reorganise them in the future.

Basically, because "for the time being" involves the present and potentially moving into the future, it can't really be used with the past tense, as you did (sorted out their requests).
    Is there no word or words one could use to express that the requests might be rearranged in the future?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post

"At the end of the oral proceedings on October 10, 2008, the plaintiffs sorted out their requests for the time being." '[Subsequent to][At the conclusion of] the oral proceedings on October 10, 2008, the plaintiffs [drafted][agreed on] [their][the][the appropriate/relevant] [provisional requests][requests, subject to amendment]'

A few variations above depending on intended meaning

Thanks.
    Bertie