Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #1

    Cool conformity from choosing the second option

    A man finds himself between two women he loves. But the first one, the wild one, is his favourite choice. The second one is next-door girl type, understanding and loving, and all that... In this context, can we say "Conformity derived from choosing the second option (for second fiddle condition, someone's second choice) may not result in a fatalist vision of existence"?

    Thank You
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 26-May-2010 at 13:32.

  2. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #2

    Cool Re: conformity from choosing the second option

    Some help, please

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: conformity from choosing the second option

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    A man finds himself between two women he loves. But the first one, the wild one, is his favourite choice. The second one is next-door girl type, understanding and loving, and all that... In this context, can we say "Conformity derived from choosing the second option (for second fiddle condition, someone's second choice) may not result in a fatalist vision of existence"?

    Thank You
    No, you can't say that if you want to be understood. What does it mean?

    Conforming by choosing the second option ...
    But I'm not sure what you mean by "may not result in a fatalistic vision of existence".
    It's probably true that conforming doesn't necessarily result in such a vision. But who is suggesting that it should? Is there a logical connection?
    I think it's more likely that a fatalistic view would result in conformity.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #4

    Re: conformity from choosing the second option

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    A man finds himself between two women he loves. But the first one, the wild one, is his favourite choice. The second one is next-door girl type, understanding and loving, and all that... In this context, can we say "Conformity derived from choosing the second option (for second fiddle condition, someone's second choice) may not result in a fatalist vision of existence"?

    Thank You
    "The conventional choice of the girl-next-door does not point to/signify/suggest a fatalistic vision of existence"??

    PS: don't use the word 'option' when talking about people - it sounds like we're objects

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #5

    Re: conformity from choosing the second option

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    "The conventional choice of the girl-next-door does not point to/signify/suggest a fatalistic vision of existence"??

    PS: don't use the word 'option' when talking about people - it sounds like we're objects
    Actually, this could be ambiguous, so:

    'To follow convention in opting for the girl-next-door ...'

  4. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #6

    Cool Re: conformity from choosing the second option

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, you can't say that if you want to be understood. What does it mean?

    Conforming by choosing the second option ...
    But I'm not sure what you mean by "may not result in a fatalistic vision of existence".
    It's probably true that conforming doesn't necessarily result in such a vision. But who is suggesting that it should? Is there a logical connection?
    I think it's more likely that a fatalistic view would result in conformity.
    At the end of the movie, the man, pressed by family, chooses the second girl. The reviewer means that this conservative ending has not necessarily to be a defeat (this fatalistic view of existence) because is it possible tolove two women anyway, according to what the reviewer thinks to see in the movie message.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #7

    Re: conformity from choosing the second option

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    At the end of the movie, the man, pressed by family, chooses the second girl. The reviewer means that this conservative ending has not necessarily to be a defeat (this fatalistic view of existence) because is it possible tolove two women anyway, according to what the reviewer thinks to see in the movie message.
    Then my revised suggestion is, I think, fine - although maybe, depending on the context, you would say 'second girl' or another adjective to describe her (eg 'the more homely girl') instead of 'girl-next-door'.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: conformity from choosing the second option

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    At the end of the movie, the man, pressed by family, chooses the second girl. The reviewer means that this conservative ending has not necessarily to be a defeat (this fatalistic view of existence) because is it possible tolove two women anyway, according to what the reviewer thinks to see in the movie message.
    I wouldn't call it "conforming" to marry the nice girl and have the wild girl on the side. If it is, then he's right - there's nothing fatalistic about conformity.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,888
    #9

    Re: conformity from choosing the second option

    How about rephrasing it completely- Playing safe does not have to be the end of the world (or something)
    I only suggest this because "may not result in a fatalist vision of existence" sounds a bit excessive for a film review.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2009, 19:55
  2. Is the weekend TEFL course a good option?
    By Zyra in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-Feb-2009, 12:16
  3. (camplain) please correct
    By jollysalman in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2008, 19:29
  4. for choosing
    By sadeadu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-May-2008, 17:00
  5. option days
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2007, 12:18

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •