• English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: when to use in bed and on bed

Quote Originally Posted by battery View Post
    when to use in bed and on bed
    You "get in bed" to retire and "sit on a/the bed" or place an object "on a/the bed".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You will use "in bed" in most situations. You're in bed because you're sleeping, or perhaps sick, or for another activity that we won't talk about here. "In bed" has a purpose associated with it (sleep, recover, sex, whatever) that goes beyond your simple location.

You might say "on the bed" to emphasize your physical location.

When I heard my brother's snake got loose, I spend the afternoon on the bed.
    I put your keys on the bed.

You generally would not say "in the bed" unless you wanted to describe something physical location. There was a tick in the bed. I don't think I will be able to sleep there again until the sheets are washed.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    You will use "in bed" in most situations. You're in bed because you're sleeping, or perhaps sick, or for another activity that we won't talk about here. "In bed" has a purpose associated with it (sleep, recover, sex, whatever) that goes beyond your simple location.

You generally would not say "in the bed" unless you wanted to describe something physical location. There was a tick in the bed. I don't think I will be able to sleep there again until the sheets are washed.
    I agree, although if someone telephoned me while I was under the duvet and asked "Where are you?" I would say "I'm in bed", not "I'm in the bed" even though I'm describing my physical location.

So if you're talking about a person, you invariably use "in bed", but if you're talking about something, it would probably be "in the bed".

4. Banned
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post

So I am lying in bed is this correct

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by battery View Post
    So I am lying in bed is this correct
    Yes
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.