Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi all,

I listen to this program

what is the meaning of like kind of like ?

' Yeah. That's the biggest thing. I think the smell would really get to me, like kind of like you were with blood.'

elllo #750 Bad Jobs

see around the tenth sentence from the bottom

cheers

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's just because the speaker corrected himself (for what reason I can only guess). He said "like" and then thought that saying "kind of like" would be better.

I am not a teacher.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've just googled the exact phrase "like kind of like" on google and there are over 10 million hits so perhaps it's not someone correcting themselves. It could be someone momentarily thinking what to say next. They could say 'like'; 'kind of like' gives them even more time to follow on; and with 'like kind of like' they're drawing the sentence out even more - just like we do with fillers like 'you know', I mean'.

PS: I'd probably punctuate this 'like, kind of like'

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
sounds like, kind of like, you both are right.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends on the fuller context, which I don't have time to read, but it sounds like an automatic self-correction (on it's way to becoming a regular feature - which would account for all those Google hits), made because in this lingo the word 'like' has become devalued and has to be reinforced by a synonym. Many words do this; my favourite example is the French aujourd'hui (= 'on the day of today'). French politicians sometimes even say 'au jour d'aujourd'ui'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.