Word lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kites

Member Type
Other
Hi,
I'll like to some ideas about teaching vocabulary to elementary school ESL students.

Which word lists would you use for Grades 1-6?

Appreciate your help!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The are plenty of lists like the Dolch list of the most common words, though I can't say that I am much of a fan of teaching vocabulary through lists. A list treats words in isolation rather than in use and encourages memorization as the goal, which isn't very stimulating and does't mean that people can do anything with the words.

Kites

Member Type
Other
Hi Ginger Inger,

Thanks for your advice! I tried typing wordsgo in google, but there are only two relevant website? Are you referring to the Chinese one?

I am looking for levelled lists (e.g. words for Grade 1, words for Grade 2 and so on). Does anyone have something like that?

Finally, is the GSL really outdated?

Kites

Member Type
Other
The are plenty of lists like the Dolch list of the most common words, though I can't say that I am much of a fan of teaching vocabulary through lists. A list treats words in isolation rather than in use and encourages memorization as the goal, which isn't very stimulating and does't mean that people can do anything with the words.

Hi Tdol,
Thanks again for your reply. I agree that vocabulary should not be taught through providing students with lists. I mean providing the words in the context of stories and worksheets.

Am I right in thinking that the Dolch sight words (220 words?) can be covered in the first two years (at most) of learning English?

Thanks for your reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.