Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"The primary motion, together with 13 alternative motions, is/are the subject of the decision."

Which is correct, is or are?

Thanks.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"The primary motion, together with 13 alternate motions, is the subject of the decision."

Which is correct, is or are? "is" But the sentence is odd.

Thanks.
The subject of the sentence is "The primary motion".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2006: I am inclined to agree, but what if we replace "together with" with "and", which in this example, would be synonymous?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
2006: I am inclined to agree, but what if we replace "together with" with "and", which in this example, would be synonymous?
Then we would have a compound subject, without commas, and the correct verb would be "are". :)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hmmmm. I'm thinking.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Are you both sure that it wouldn't be subjects then?
The primary motion and the 13 alternate motions are the subjects of the decision.

Or do you think subject is already okay?

Cheers!

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The primary motion and the 13 alternate motions are the subjects of the decision.

Yes, I would use "subjects". But again, it's an odd sentence.
Cheers!

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
The primary motion, together with 13 alternative (not alternate) motions, is the matter of the decision.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
2006 is correct: if you simply conjoin NPs by means of prepositions (together with, along with, etc.), the phrase thus produced does not constitute a compound subject and thus has no bearing on verbal number. 'And', on the other hand, is a true coordinating conjunction.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
'together with', 'as well as', etc. are pseudo-coordinators. Pseudo comes from the fact (I think) that the conjoins affect the number of the verb according to the number of the first conjoin. If the two conjoins are singular, the verb will be singular. When the first conjoin is plural, the verb will be plural too.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Cheers!

I would use 'subject' since the subject is 'the motions' (note how here and above it is sometimes fine to use the singular as the grammatical subject but the plural in the predicate, and vice versa). The sense is 'they are the subject of the decision'.

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
"The primary motion, together with 13 alternative motions, is/are the subject of the decision."

Which is correct, is or are?

Thanks.

The subject of the sentence is motion; therefore, you have to use the verb in the singular, i.e. is

The primary motion, together with 13 alternative motions, is the subject of the decision.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The subject of the sentence is motion; therefore, you have to use the verb in the singular, i.e. is

The primary motion, together with 13 alternative motions, is the subject of the decision.

If this is a response to my post: I agree in the context but I am simply responding to Nightmare85's post.

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
If this is a response to my post: I agree in the context but I am simply responding to Nightmare85's post.

Hi bertietheblue!

I was trying to give an answer to Jasmine`s post. Any other answers are most welcome, of course. I`m not a native teacher and I`m trying to learn as much as possible from native teachers.

Thank you.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'together with', 'as well as', etc. are pseudo-coordinators. Pseudo comes from the fact (I think) that the conjoins affect the number of the verb according to the number of the first conjoin. If the two conjoins are singular, the verb will be singular. When the first conjoin is plural, the verb will be plural too.

I fail to see the value of this overly complex, and yet incomplete, statement of the rule, since, by failing to mention the possible combination singular+plural conjoin, it would apparently admit as possible

*My brother, together with my sisters, are planning to visit our mother next week.

rather than correct ...is planning...

It is the first conjoin - and that alone - that governs the person and number of the verb. The second, as prepositional object, is quite immaterial!

Status
Not open for further replies.