Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #1

    Smile capitalization problem

    when I read a sentence which is capital ,I can not understand it soon. I need to imagine the sentence which become a small letter and I will understand it. what method can raise your ability about reading capital words?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #2

    Re: capitalization problem

    You're right- people shouldn't write in capitals as it's hard to read. Writing in capitals is called shouting.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #3

    Smile Re: capitalization problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    You're right- people shouldn't write in capitals as it's hard to read. Writing in capitals is called shouting.

    so i should not focus on capitalization, right?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #4

    Re: capitalization problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Claradai View Post
    so i should not focus on capitalization, right?
    Even though writing on the net is not normally done in capitals, I believe it's important for you to recognise all the letters of the alphabet in both lower and upper case (small letters and capitals).

    Many important signs etc are written in all capitals, and you should be able to read English in both small letters and capital letters with the same ease.

    GOOD LUCK!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #5

    Re: capitalization problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Claradai View Post
    when I read a sentence which is capital ,I can not understand it soon. I need to imagine the sentence which become a small letter and I will understand it. what method can raise your ability about reading capital words?
    Native speakers themselves find it much more difficult to read long passages when all the text is capitalised. Luckily, this is very rare since capitalised words are usually limited to titles - and that's why 'all capitals' is often referred to as 'title case'.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #6

    Re: capitalization problem

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    Native speakers themselves find it much more difficult to read long passages when all the text is capitalised. Luckily, this is very rare since capitalised words are usually limited to titles - and that's why 'all capitals' is often referred to as 'title case'.
    I partly agree with you on this. It's very annoying to have to read long passages all in capitals, but I don't think most native speakers would say they find it "difficult" to read/understand, just because it's all in upper case.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #7

    Post Re: capitalization problem

    all right, I got it. thank you for all guies.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #8

    Re: capitalization problem

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I partly agree with you on this. It's very annoying to have to read long passages all in capitals, but I don't think most native speakers would say they find it "difficult" to read/understand, just because it's all in upper case.
    I didn't say 'difficult'; I said 'much more difficult' - it was a comparative comment - and I made no mention of understanding. I'll wager that it would take you upto twice as long to read 20 pages in all caps (if you can find a document that is 20 pages of caps) as it would if the text was in normal sentence case unless spacing was also changed, or else that you'd give up with a headache or in annoyance.
    Last edited by Tdol; 30-May-2010 at 03:21. Reason: Off Topic comments removed

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #9

    Re: capitalization problem

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    I didn't say 'difficult'; I said 'much more difficult' - it was a comparative comment - and I made no mention of understanding. I'll wager that it would take you upto twice as long to read 20 pages in all caps (if you can find a document that is 20 pages of caps) as it would if the text was in normal sentence case unless spacing was also changed, or else that you'd give up with a headache or in annoyance.
    I realise that you said "much more difficult" as a comparative, but by saying "much more difficult" that suggests that reading a document in the normal mixture of upper and lower case would have been difficult in the first place. I would have thought that most native speakers would find reading that hypothetical document pretty easy, therefore my "comparative" take on it might be that it would be "less easy" if it were all in capitals. The OP was the one who specified "understanding" being a problem so I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you too were referring to both reading and understanding.
    Last edited by Tdol; 30-May-2010 at 04:12. Reason: Off Topics comments removed

Similar Threads

  1. Four tenses problem
    By ben9108 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2010, 03:49
  2. problem
    By nitba in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2006, 05:25
  3. No Problem / No Problems
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2004, 12:05
  4. Problem / Uncountable
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2004, 13:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •