1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

in a novel

1.He might have been influenced by the fact that K had already banked £1,470 of the £5,000 needed to build a new cricket pavilion. Most of the money had, admittedly, been extracted from his father's contacts, who, K suspected, paid up in the hope that it would keep their names off the front page in future.

Question: In the above 'keep their names off the front page in future', what does that mean in the real sense or metaphorically?

2.Is the school magazine the same as school newspaper? If so, can the leader of the school magazine mean the editorial of that?

3.'But I do have to attend an Interview Board for Oxford.'
    'Why bother? said P. 'If you were to end up there, it would only confirm your worst fears about the English.'

Question: (The 'I' is an Australian boy who wants to be a journalist.) In the above, what would mean 'the English'? The English people or The English course or The English language?
    Last edited by beaware; 28-May-2010 at 09:38.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: in a novel

Quote Originally Posted by beaware View Post
    1.He might have been influenced by the fact that K had already banked £1,470 of the £5,000 needed to build a new cricket pavilion. Most of the money had, admittedly, been extracted from his father's contacts, who, K suspected, paid up in the hope that it would keep their names off the front page in future.

Question:

1)In the above 'keep their names off the front page in future', what does that mean in the real sense or metaphorically? It means that they want to stay out of the limelight, they don't want to be the centre of attention or the big news in future.

2.Is the school magazine the same as school newspaper? If so, can the leader of the school magazine mean the editorial of that? A magazine and a newspaper are different in that a magazine is normally smaller, and sometimes printed on glossy paper. A newspaper can be bigger and has more short news articles, instead of just interesting articles about random subjects. However, the content of a school magazine would probably be the same as the school newspaper. We wouldn't normally say the "leader" of a magazine/newspaper - you have the editor, who is usually in charge, then contributors, writers, photographers, designers etc.

3.'But I do have to attend an Interview Board for Oxford.'
    'Why bother? said P. 'If you were to end up there, it would only confirm your worst fears about the English.'

Question: (The 'I' is an Australian boy who wants to be a journalist.) In the above, what would mean 'the English'? The English people or The English course or The English language?
    In this context, it means the English people, the English as a nationality. "P" is saying that by going to Oxford, the person would see the kind of people who "P", and presumably the hopeful journalist, think are the worst examples of the English (posh, upperclass people - historically, though not really now, thought to be the only kind of people who attend Oxford University).
    See above.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: in a novel

(...generally, though I think the OP's use of 'leader' and 'editorial' suggests that s/he was referring to a 'leading article' (or 'editorial'). And while a newspaper does normally have a 'leader' - the most substantial of three or four editorial pieces - a school magazine (in my experience) doesn't.) It's also worth mentioning that newspapers are typically published daily, whereas school magazines are published annually (or sometimes once per term or semester).

b