• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Post Various quesitons

I've created an imaginary situation where I'm teaching students. In the middle of the lecture, I suddenly feel this sensation in my nostril that makes me shed tears. It feels like a small hair strand wiggles deep inside my nostril. I get this great urge to pick my nose, but what would happen to my social status and dignity as a teacher, should I do so in front of the unsuspecting students? So I decide to excuse myself for a minute, rush into washroom and rinse my nostril.
    Questions / Requests

1. Could you correct the above paragraph so that it's free of any errors / mistakes? And if you feel that you can better state any sentence in the paragraph please do so.

2. The whole 'sensation' described in the paragraph (I just hope you know what it feels like) may be put into one word: itchy. But it's not that simple. You do feel itchy, you also shed tears, and you want to get whatever's tickling inside the nose out, whether you pick it, blow it, or rinse it. Are there any other words to describe the sensation? better ways to put it?

3. What would you say to the students if you were in the same situation? (I suspect most of you are... teaching in a classroom environment, right? do you ever get this?)

I'd want to say, "Would you excuse me for a minute?" and append a short explanation as to what troubles me and why I want to be excused, but not too explanatory; maybe like, "I need to rinse my nostril", but even that may be too straightforward and indecent to some.

What would you say??

4. See the boldened part of the quoted? Do you think you can rephrase it so that it looks and sounds more... polished? OK, if you were me, how would you write it?

Thank you VERY much.
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 16-May-2005 at 21:27.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Various quesitons

Actually, I kind of like it. The only thing I might do is change wiggles to is wiggling.

As for what I would do in that situation, I'd just shove the ol' finger right up there. It's the students who should worry about what I think of them, not the other way around. Besides, I teach in a prison. Anyone who is offended by nose picking should certainly stay out of places like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner
    Actually, I kind of like it. The only thing I might do is change wiggles to is wiggling.

As for what I would do in that situation, I'd just shove the ol' finger right up there. It's the students who should worry about what I think of them, not the other way around. Besides, I teach in a prison. Anyone who is offended by nose picking should certainly stay out of places like that.

Dear Sir,

Do you think we should deal with the case of a "bum itch" in the same manner? ... just shove the ol' finger right up there? If nose picking is OK in front of the prisoners why shouldn't be anything else. Do we get less professional because we're dealing with prisoners?

HB's English is exceptionally good. His questions are very deep and I am always wondering what else is to come.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear Marilyn,

Well, I was being kind of sarcastic for the sake of off-color humor. Yet, why would scratching one part of your body be acceptable and not another? No one would raise an eyebrow if you stuck your finger in your ear and twisted it around during a lecture. The nose is certainly not a taboo body part. We've all got one sticking out from the middle of our faces.

Professionalism is not governed by immutable laws of nature. It consists only of doing what you feel is necessary to fulfill your image of yourself as a professional.

Mike

P.S. Please don't take me too seriously, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner
    Dear Marilyn,

Well, I was being kind of sarcastic for the sake of off-color humor. Yet, why would scratching one part of your body be acceptable and not another? No one would raise an eyebrow if you stuck your finger in your ear and twisted it around during a lecture. The nose is certainly not a taboo body part. We've all got one sticking out from the middle of our faces.

Professionalism is not governed by immutable laws of nature. It consists only of doing what you feel is necessary to fulfill your image of yourself as a professional.

Mike

Dear Mike,

Yet, why would scratching one part of your body be acceptable and not another?

Good point.

No part of the body is a taboo part in my books but what you decide to do with them in public. Picking up one's goop is just as bad as holding one's crotch. I am not into flaming away about your nose picking and how you dispose of what you pick but rather wondering about how that affects your audience.

Not to worry. Just get used to my silly questions. I am too dumb to seriously weigh the merits of nose picking.

Marylin

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thank you mykwyner, for answering question no.1, and Marylin, for question no.2. I've picked up some really neat expressions here. 'bum itch', and 'shoving the ol' finger right up there'. Thank you both for that.

Can anyone answer question no.3 and 4?

And other questions....

what is off-colour humor?
    And I assume ol' finger is old finger. Why old finger, and does it represent any specific finger, such as pinkie?

Thanks! -deep bow-