• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Sometimes I'm not sure

Sometimes I'm not sure whether to use the Present Perfect Continuous or the Present Continuous, as in the following paragraph:
    During the last years the Israeli media has been publishing [1] news about some dozens Sudanese who have illegitimately entered Israel through the Egyptian border. There are no precise numbers of Sudanese who are already staying [2] illegitimately in Israel.
    Did I use the tenses correctly? I'd appreciate your help.

1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Re: Sometimes I'm not sure

I would rethink (1). Why do you not google the uses of the tenses and come up with an argument in favour of one or the other or both? Come back with your principled argument and volunteers will help you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    Sometimes I'm not sure whether to use the Present Perfect Continuous or the Present Continuous, as in the following paragraph:
    During the last years the Israeli media has been publishing [1] news about some dozens Sudanese who have illegitimately entered Israel through the Egyptian border. There are no precise numbers of Sudanese who are already staying [2] illegitimately in Israel.
    Did I use the tenses correctly? I'd appreciate your help.
    "the last years" is not an English phrase. You need something like "the last few years".
    If the Israeli media is still publishing such articles, you can use the tense you've chosen. This means they started a few years ago, and are still doing it. My preference would be:
    "For/In the last few years, the Israeli media has been publishing articles about ... "

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Thank you!