infinitive and pause

Thanks for viewing this.
    My question:

Many european countries have introduced incentives to encourage residents to have more children.

My two interpretation of this:

1)Many european countries have introduced some incentives. They do so because they want to encourage residents to have more children.

2)Many european countries have introduced some incentives. These incentives per se encourage residents to have more children. (Those countries may have been searching for some incentives that encourage residents to have more children, even though those authorites do not at allwant to encourage residents to have more children. Perhaps they have been forced by some superpower to do so)

So my question is: should we view 'incentives' and the infinitive directly following it ("to encourage residents to have more children") as a single unit?
    Is "incentives to encourage" the same thing as "incentives that encourage"?

The above sentence is extracted from a piece of news from VOA. I noted that the broadcaster read this sentence with a noticeable pause between 'incentives' and 'to encourage'. Like this:

Many european countries have introduced incentives *pause* to encourage residents to have more baby.

I'm not sure if whether there is a pause or not matters. How would you read it?

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: infinitive and pause

I'm not sure that the pause is of any real significance. I don't agree with part in brackets about the imporisition coming from a higher power. All of Europe needs a higher birth rate, but not all countries have started dealing with the problem.

Re: infinitive and pause

Thanks!