Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,953

    relative synonyms

    Hi

    Are the following expressions relative synonyms for sometimes?

    off and on, now and then, at times, from time to time.

    If you know any other synonym or synonyms for the word written in bold letters above, please tell me.

    Are there any important differences between these expressions?

    Thank you very much in advance.

  2. #2
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577

    Re: relative synonyms

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi

    Are the following expressions relative synonyms for sometimes?

    off and on, now and then, at times, from time to time.

    If you know any other synonym or synonyms for the word written in bold letters above, please tell me.

    Are there any important differences between these expressions?

    Thank you very much in advance.
    'every so often'?

    I'd say 'at times' is used more for states than intermittent activities:

    'At times he seems happy, but at other times he sinks into a deep depression.'

    To me, the other 3 expressions are closer in meaning to 'occasionally' but then there's such a lot of overlap between the two - one man's 'occasionally' might be another man's 'sometimes'. Which reminds me of a split-screen scene from Woody Allen's Annie Hall. A couple are seeing the same psychotherapist ( or 'shrink' as Woody prefers).

    "How often do you have sex?"

    He: "Hardly ever - maybe three times a week."

    She: "Constantly! I'd say three times a week!"

  3. #3
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,953

    Re: relative synonyms

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    'every so often'?

    I'd say 'at times' is used more for states than intermittent activities:

    'At times he seems happy, but at other times he sinks into a deep depression.'

    To me, the other 3 expressions are closer in meaning to 'occasionally' but then there's such a lot of overlap between the two - one man's 'occasionally' might be another man's 'sometimes'. Which reminds me of a split-screen scene from Woody Allen's Annie Hall. A couple are seeing the same psychotherapist ( or 'shrink' as Woody prefers).

    "How often do you have sex?"

    He: "Hardly ever - maybe three times a week."

    She: "Constantly! I'd say three times a week!"
    Thank you so much! Good to remember! [ is this sentence correct? How shall I say it better?]

  4. #4
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577

    Re: relative synonyms

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Thank you so much! Good to remember! [ is this sentence correct? How could shall I say it better?]
    eg

    'Well worth remembering!'

  5. #5
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,953

    Re: relative synonyms

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    eg

    'Well worth remembering!'
    Why did you cross the word shall out? Is could more polite? I think so. [ I have the bad habit to answer my own questions]

    Thank you for your advice and answers.

  6. #6
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577

    Re: relative synonyms

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Why did you cross the word shall out? Because it's wrong. Is could more polite? I think so. [ I have the bad habit to answer my own questions]

    Thank you for your advice and answers.
    Bertie

  7. #7
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577

    Re: relative synonyms

    You are talking about the ability to say something better - 'could'.

  8. #8
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,953

    Re: relative synonyms

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    You are talking about the ability to say something better - 'could'.
    Thank you very much again!

  9. #9
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577

    Re: relative synonyms

    'can' is less formal here.

    (Sorry, for the succession of afterthoughts.)

  10. #10
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,953

    Re: relative synonyms

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    'can' is less formal here.

    (Sorry, for the succession of afterthoughts.)
    No problem! Any advice is welcome. I have been studying modal verbs for long and I`m not accustomed to using them properly yet.

    Where should I put the adverb properly?

    I have been studying modal verbs for long and I`m not accustomed to properly using them yet. - Is this correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •