Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello all.

I want to ask why are medical terms hard to know? I mean some medical terms are different from normal English that I know though both refer to the same meaning. For example, analgesics ( which is a medical term ) means pain killer. Also, Do native speakers find difficulty in reading medical terms ?

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello all.

I want to ask why are medical terms hard to know? I mean some medical terms are different from normal English that I know though both refer to the same meaning. For example, analgesics ( which is a medical term ) means pain killer. Also, Do native speakers find difficulty in reading medical terms ?

Thanks in advance.

It depends. Some medical terms are in everyday use. I don't think many people (that I know) would have much problem in understanding that analgesics are painkillers, but I'm sure there are some other terms that don't translate quite so easily.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello all.

Thanks in advance.

Many medical terms come from Greek and are often made by combining word elements (notably prefixes and sufixes) of Greek origin. One reason we use them is that they are widely understood in other languages, in particular those other European languages that are derived from Greek and Latin.

Many ordinary people, myself included, often do not know what the terms mean, but there is an easy way to get to grips with them: simply learn the meanings of the most common prefixes (especially for the body parts if you are a medical student) and suffixes - there aren't that many - and you will be able to have an intelligent guess about the meaning of most medical terms.

coolheaded

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thank you so much Sir emsr2d2 for answering me.

Many medical terms come from Greek and are often made by combining word elements (notably prefixes and sufixes) of Greek origin. One reason we use them is that they are widely understood in other languages, in particular those other European languages that are derived from Greek and Latin.

Many ordinary people, myself included, often do not know what the terms mean, but there is an easy way to get to grips with them: simply learn the meanings of the most common prefixes (especially for the body parts if you are a medical student) and suffixes - there aren't that many - and you will be able to have an intelligent guess about the meaning of most medical terms.

Thank you so much for your advice. By the way, I also read that Medicine and Science use Latin becuase it is a dead language so the meaning of a word is unlikely to change over time . makes sense right ?

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much Sir emsr2d2 for answering me.

Thank you so much for your advice. By the way, I also read that Medicine and Science use Latin becuase it is a dead language so the meaning of a word is unlikely to change over time . makes sense right ?
Never thought of that but, yeah, sounds convincing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.