[Grammar] check the error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
plz check the error-:

today my college friends are going to arrange a party for our friend shailja,because she is going to hostel on 5th june.so a surprise party would be given by us at city walk mall.we will meet after a long time,so everybody is crazy about the get together.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]plz[/STRIKE] Please check the following for errors:

Today, my college friends are going to arrange a party for our friend Shailja, because she is going to a hostel on the 5th of June. [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] A surprise party [STRIKE]would [/STRIKE] will be given (or thrown) by us at City Walk Mall. We [STRIKE]will meet after[/STRIKE] haven't met up for a long time, so everybody is [STRIKE]crazy[/STRIKE] very excited about the get-together.

Please see above. Remember that you need to have a space after each comma and each full stop, and that new sentences and proper nouns start with a capital letter.

I wasn't sure what you meant by "she is going to hostel" - is your friend leaving town or leaving the country for a long time. "Going to a hostel" could be anywhere - she could just be going to stay in a local hostel for a few nights, which I wouldn't have thought would be much of an excuse for a party! Perhaps you could explain more clearly where she is going and for how long.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So you'd write 'on the 5th of June' and not 'on 5th June'/'on 5 June'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So you'd write 'on the 5th of June' and not 'on 5th June'/'on 5 June'?

I had an interesting conversation with a student about this the other day. I agree that even when it's written as "5th June", when we read it out loud, we automatically say "the 5th of June" even though two of the words are missing. The reason I generally suggest that "the" and "of" are added is that it avoids it being read out loud literally as "on 5th June". Beginners and intermediate learners, in my experience, tend to read exactly what is written on the page, whereas natives will add in the unwritten words without even thinking about it.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had an interesting conversation with a student about this the other day. I agree that even when it's written as "5th June", when we read it out loud, we automatically say "the 5th of June" even though two of the words are missing. The reason I generally suggest that "the" and "of" are added is that it avoids it being read out loud literally as "on 5th June". Beginners and intermediate learners, in my experience, tend to read exactly what is written on the page, whereas natives will add in the unwritten words without even thinking about it.

True although the tendency in English is to write:

on 5th June/on 5 June (UK style - is it ever US style?)
on June 5th/on June 5 (mostly US style, although The Guardian uses it)

for the simple reason that the 'the' and 'of' are redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.