Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #1

    Cool nowadays American cinema

    Can we say "nowadays American cinema"?

    Would be better "present American cinema"?

    Anyway, can "nowadays" be used as above?

    Thanks

  2. VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,429
    #2

    Re: nowadays American cinema

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Can we say "nowadays American cinema"?

    Would be better "present American cinema"?

    Anyway, can "nowadays" be used as above?

    Thanks
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Good morning, Bushwhacker.

    (1) I do not think that you can use "nowadays" as an adjective.

    (2) I think it is preferable to say:

    Present-day American cinema is winning many international awards.

    Current American cinema is more concerned with entertainment than discussing serious problems.

    (3) I think you could use "nowadays" as an adverb:

    American cinema nowadays is starting to touch on many taboo subjects.

    OR with a comma:

    Nowadays, American cinema is facing stiff competition from filmmakers in other countries.

    Have a nice day!

  3. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #3

    Cool Re: nowadays American cinema

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Good morning, Bushwhacker.

    (1) I do not think that you can use "nowadays" as an adjective.

    (2) I think it is preferable to say:

    Present-day American cinema is winning many international awards.

    Current American cinema is more concerned with entertainment than discussing serious problems.

    (3) I think you could use "nowadays" as an adverb:

    American cinema nowadays is starting to touch on many taboo subjects.

    OR with a comma:

    Nowadays, American cinema is facing stiff competition from filmmakers in other countries.

    Have a nice day!
    But "the present-day American cinema" or "present-day American cinmea"?

    Thanks

  4. VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,429
    #4

    Re: nowadays American cinema

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    But "the present-day American cinema" or "present-day American cinmea"?

    Thanks
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    I would not use "the."

    But I could easily be wrong.

    If you do not get any other replies, why not repost this one

    specific sentence and see what other people say.

    Have a nice day!

  5. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #5

    Re: nowadays American cinema

    I think 'contemporary American cinema' is probably best here. One often writes 'contemporary [art form]' in this sense: contemporary literature, contemporary art, contemporary architecture.

    I think 'present-day American cinema' is fine, however, if you are restricting the sense more to the here and now.

    Hope that helps!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •