Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 63
    #1

    consumer detritus

    Dear teachers,

    what is the meaning of this expression?

    I found it in an article about an Iranian artist:

    "the high-rises, the consumer detritus, the nose-job fetish it became his raw material".

    Thank you in advance,
    G.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: consumer detritus

    Quote Originally Posted by giuly90 View Post
    Dear teachers,

    what is the meaning of this expression?

    I found it in an article about an Iranian artist:

    "the high-rises, the consumer detritus, the nose-job fetish it became his raw material".

    Thank you in advance,
    G.
    It probably means the waste that consumer societies generate - for example, all the prefectly good things we throw out so we can buy new ones.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 52,486
    #3

    Re: consumer detritus

    Quote Originally Posted by giuly90 View Post
    Dear teachers,

    what is the meaning of this expression?

    I found it in an article about an Iranian artist:

    "the high-rises, the consumer detritus, the nose-job fetish — it became his raw material".

    Thank you in advance,
    G.
    Hi Giuly
    I read this article too. I quote a little more:
    "Rather than (grammar purists would write 'instead of'") retreat in horror, Moshiri, who today lives in Elahieh, revealed in the changes. He mind them, the high-rises (sky-scrapers), the consumer detritus, the nose-job (nose-surgery) fetish - it become his raw material (a metaphor: subject/topic of his work).
    Regards
    S.M.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: consumer detritus

    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaw.masny View Post
    ...
    I read this article too. ... Moshiri, who today lives in Elahieh, reveLled* in the changes. He mined them, [they] became his raw material ...
    Are these your typos, or were they in the original article? The word 'mined' works well with the 'raw material' metaphor, don't you think?

    b
    * PS I've used the Br English spelling. Quite possibly the Optical Character Recognition software used to scan the original, seeing the American spelling with one L, thought it had better add a letter to 'correct' it; but 'revealed in' is meaningless (in this context - though it would work in a context such as this 'Their background is revealed in their ... <whatever>')
    Last edited by BobK; 31-May-2010 at 18:23. Reason: Added PS

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 52,486
    #5

    Re: consumer detritus

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Are these your typos, or were they in the original article? The word 'mined' works well with the 'raw material' metaphor, don't you think?

    b
    * PS I've used the Br English spelling. Quite possibly the Optical Character Recognition software used to scan the original, seeing the American spelling with one L, thought it had better add a letter to 'correct' it; but 'revealed in' is meaningless (in this context - though it would work in a context such as this 'Their background is revealed in their ... <whatever>')
    Dear Bob,
    The quotation in black is from the article "Fluffy Farhad" by Negar Azimi. The green interjections are mine. Unfortunately, 'became', 'mined' and 'reveled', are mine, as well.
    I,m sorry.
    With regards to a metaphor, I feel that an artist can get his inspirations from an environment, which is his mine of ideas. It's my understanding. If I'm mistaken, I wash my hands of it. I'm out of my depth.
    S.M.
    Last edited by stanislaw.masny; 31-May-2010 at 18:49.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: consumer detritus

    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaw.masny View Post
    ...
    With regards to a metaphor, I feel that an artist can get his inspirations from an environment, which is his mine of ideas. ...
    Spot on! (or, in the Latin metaphor, Rem acu tetigisti ['You have touched the matter with a needle']).

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 31-May-2010 at 21:32. Reason: Aded last bit

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 52,486
    #7

    Re: consumer detritus

    Bob, thank you 'ab imo pectore'.

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] An approach of the complete chain from primary production to consumer
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2009, 21:38
  2. at the consumer end
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2008, 14:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •