Status
Not open for further replies.

giuly90

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear teachers,

what is the meaning of this expression?

I found it in an article about an Iranian artist:

"the high-rises, the consumer detritus, the nose-job fetish — it became his raw material".

Thank you in advance,
G.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers,

"the high-rises, the consumer detritus, the nose-job fetish — it became his raw material".

Thank you in advance,
G.
It probably means the waste that consumer societies generate - for example, all the prefectly good things we throw out so we can buy new ones.

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance,
G.
Hi Giuly
I read this article too. I quote a little more:
"Rather than (grammar purists would write 'instead of'":?:) retreat in horror, Moshiri, who today lives in Elahieh, revealed in the changes. He mind them, the high-rises (sky-scrapers), the consumer detritus, the nose-job (nose-surgery) fetish - it become his raw material (a metaphor: subject/topic of his work:?:).
Regards
S.M.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I read this article too. ... Moshiri, who today lives in Elahieh, reveLled* in the changes. He mined them, [they] became his raw material ...

Are these your typos, or were they in the original article? ;-) The word 'mined' works well with the 'raw material' metaphor, don't you think?

b
* PS I've used the Br English spelling. Quite possibly the Optical Character Recognition software used to scan the original, seeing the American spelling with one L, thought it had better add a letter to 'correct' it; but 'revealed in' is meaningless (in this context - though it would work in a context such as this 'Their background is revealed in their ... <whatever>')

Last edited:

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Are these your typos, or were they in the original article? ;-) The word 'mined' works well with the 'raw material' metaphor, don't you think?

b
* PS I've used the Br English spelling. Quite possibly the Optical Character Recognition software used to scan the original, seeing the American spelling with one L, thought it had better add a letter to 'correct' it; but 'revealed in' is meaningless (in this context - though it would work in a context such as this 'Their background is revealed in their ... <whatever>')
Dear Bob,
The quotation in black is from the article "Fluffy Farhad" by Negar Azimi. The green interjections are mine. Unfortunately, 'became', 'mined' and 'reveled', are mine, as well.
I,m sorry:oops:.
With regards to a metaphor, I feel that an artist can get his inspirations from an environment, which is his mine of ideas. It's my understanding. If I'm mistaken, I wash my hands of it. I'm out of my depth.
S.M.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With regards to a metaphor, I feel that an artist can get his inspirations from an environment, which is his mine of ideas. ...
:up: Spot on! (or, in the Latin metaphor, Rem acu tetigisti ['You have touched the matter with a needle']).

b

Last edited:

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland