Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
HE NATURALLY IS A REALLY HUMOROUS PERSON SO WE HAD LOTS OF BANTER ANYWAY NATURALLY. SO THAT KIND OF FED INTO TO WHAT WE WERE DOING ANYWAY AND WE'D MUCK ABOUT ON SET AND, AND, UM, HE'S EASY TO BOUNCE OFF OF IN THAT, IN THAT RESPECT BECAUSE HE'S A FUNNY, A FUNNY GUY.

The actress was talking about another person in the cast. What is the meaning of "He is easy to bounce off of"??

Thanks.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
HE NATURALLY IS A REALLY HUMOROUS PERSON SO WE HAD LOTS OF BANTER ANYWAY NATURALLY. SO THAT KIND OF FED INTO TO WHAT WE WERE DOING ANYWAY AND WE'D MUCK ABOUT ON SET AND, AND, UM, HE'S EASY TO BOUNCE OFF OF IN THAT, IN THAT RESPECT BECAUSE HE'S A FUNNY, A FUNNY GUY.

The actress was talking about another person in the cast. What is the meaning of "He is easy to bounce off of"??

Thanks.

****Not A Teacher****

Dear maiabulela,
The meaning of bounce off is...

bounce off (phrasal verb)
If you bounce something off someone, you tell someone about an idea or plan in order to find out what they think of it.
Can I bounce a couple of ideas off you?

Cambridge Dictionary

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And a quick note to say that "of" is not required. It's something that has become a regular mistake, even with natives who will say "I fell off of the roof" etc, whereas it should simply be "I fell off the roof".

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
ok thanks a lot. but REALLY what is confusing here is that she said "because he is a funny person"!!
So what "being funny" has anything to do with the fact that "he's easy to bounce off of him"??? The context here is so confusing? If you can offer any explanation.

Thanks a lot.:-(

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the acting realm, you bounce things off each other when you exchange lines. Especially in the comedy genre, when actors are easy to work with in terms of making the lines work together to be funny, you might say they are good to bounce things off.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In the acting realm, you bounce things off each other when you exchange lines. Especially in the comedy genre, when actors are easy to work with in terms of making the lines work together to be funny, you might say they are good to bounce things off.

I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!!!! YOU MADE MY DAY:up::up::up::up:
I could NEVER get that meaning by myself!!

be around :-D :up::up::up::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.