Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Because of the importance of amateur sport, sports federations have an obligation to promote the overall interests of their respective sports. To that end, they redistribute some of the revenues from the commercial exploitation of their respective sports downwards to the grassroots of the game.

Is it necessary to repeat "their respective sports"? Can the second "their respective sports" be replaced with something else? "Those sports" just doesn't sound right to me here. Perhaps "the sports"? Or simply "their sports"?

Thanks.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because of the importance of amateur sport, sports federations have an obligation to promote the overall interests of their respective sports. To that end, they redistribute some of the revenues from the commercial exploitation of their respective sports downwards to the grassroots of the game.

Is it necessary to repeat "their respective sports"? Can the second "their respective sports" be replaced with something else? "Those sports" just doesn't sound right to me here. Perhaps "the sports"? Or simply "their sports"?

Thanks.

I'd say 'these sports' or 'such sports', certainly not 'their sports'. I'd also make 'grassroots' two words (possibly hyphen, but not one word, at least not in the OED) and get rid of 'of the game' in part because it is redundant, but mostly because not all sports are games (I suspect you've used 'grass roots of the game' because this is what one generally hears, in reference in particular to football). One thing: I've read one or two of your articles on 'sport' and you tend to overrepeat the word. If I was proofreading, I'd suggest rephrasing or using an alternative word on occasion. Not here perhaps, but I think there was one earlier where you used 'sport' or 'sports' 4 times in 2 lines.

Hope that helps!

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I'd say 'these sports' or 'such sports', certainly not 'their sports'. I'd also make 'grassroots' two words (possibly hyphen, but not one word, at least not in the OED) and get rid of 'of the game' in part because it is redundant, but mostly because not all sports are games (I suspect you've used 'grass roots of the game' because this is what one generally hears, in reference in particular to football). One thing: I've read one or two of your articles on 'sport' and you tend to overrepeat the word. If I was proofreading, I'd suggest rephrasing or using an alternative word on occasion. Not here perhaps, but I think there was one earlier where you used 'sport' or 'sports' 4 times in 2 lines.

Hope that helps!

My dictionary accepts both "grassroots" and "grass-roots."

What other word is there for "sport"? There are some similar ones (e.g., pastime, game, and hobby), but I don't think there's another word with the exact same meaning as "sport."

Thanks.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My dictionary accepts both "grassroots" and "grass-roots."

What other word is there for "sport"? There are some similar ones (e.g., pastime, game, and hobby), but I don't think there's another word with the exact same meaning as "sport."

Thanks.

It depends on the context. The only word that comes immediately to mind (in certain contexts) is 'activities' as in 'sporting activities'/'such activites'. But instead I'd probably first ask myself:

Do I need to use 'sport' the 3rd/4th time round- could it possibly be redundant since it is understood?

Could I use the it/its pronoun?

Should I rephrase in fewer words and fewer 'sports'?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Promote the overall interests' sounds a bit strange to me, as it appears to refer to them ensuring that money heads to the grassroots rather than actually promoting amateur sports. Isn't it more a case of the federations supporting rather than promoting in this context?

Status
Not open for further replies.