Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it's Sunday and I say 'I'm meeting her next Thursday', do you understand this to mean 'this Thursday' or 'a week on Thursday'?

And what if it's Monday?

And do you think all native speakers would be clear what is meant?

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
If it's Sunday and I say 'I'm meeting her next Thursday', do you understand this to mean 'this Thursday' or 'a week on Thursday'?

And what if it's Monday?

Hi

I think I can understand your point. This kind of things happen in all languages, or so I think. In Romanian, for example, if you don`t understand which Thursday one refers to, you ask: which Thursday? This one, this week, or the one [ Thursday ] next week?

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi

I think I can understand your point. This kind of things happen in all languages, or so I think. In Romanian, for example, if you don`t understand which Thursday one refers to, you ask: which Thursday? This one, this week, or the one [ Thursday ] next week?

I was thinking that about English: is it best not to say 'next Thursday' if it's a Sunday or indeed a Monday as you'll only be asked, "Do you mean this Thursday or the Thursday after?"?

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
I was thinking that about English: is it best not to say 'next Thursday' if it's a Sunday or indeed a Monday as you'll only be asked, "Do you mean this Thursday or the Thursday after?"?

I`d say `next Thursday`if it`s Sunday [ a new week is coming], and `this Thursday` if it`s Monday or Tuesday [ another week has already come]. I`m not sure if this is correct but I feel I have to use them this way.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I`d say `next Thursday`if it`s Sunday [ a new week is coming], and `this Thursday` if it`s Monday or Tuesday [ another week has already come]. I`m not sure if this is correct but I feel I have to use them this way.

That's how it should be, I think, but in practice, would someone wake up on Monday and use different language to talk about the same Thursday?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My preferences:
If it's Sunday, Monday or Tuesday: I'm meeting her Thursday (or this Thursday).
If it's Wednesday: I'm meeting her tomorrow.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

And what if it's Monday?

Hi Bertie,
No, all native speakers do not understand this in the same way.
This has been extensively discussed here.
Search for thread titles of "next Saturday", etc. and you'll get everyone's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.