Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
(Afan) Oromo
Home Country
Aaland
Current Location
Aaland
Would you tell me the use of "I wish...would..."? In detail, can you explain the sentence " I wish it wouldn't be so cold today"? ( it is wrong or right? and why?)
Thanks!

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Would you tell me the use of "I wish...would..."? In detail, can you explain the sentence " I wish it wouldn't be so cold today"? ( it is wrong or right? and why?)
Thanks!

Hi

I would rephrase your sentence:

I wish it were not so cold today. [ a present wish ]

Wish is used with:

1. past tense = present wish: I wish I had a new car.
2. past perfect = past regret: I wish I hadn failed my driving license exam last month.
3. would / could + verb [ short infinitive]:
a. future events: I wish you would wait for them at the airport tomorrow
b. annoying / irritating situations: I wish you wouldn`t make so much noise at night.

neiht_nart

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
(Afan) Oromo
Home Country
Aaland
Current Location
Aaland
I have a sittuation:
A husband is watching the weather forecast programme with his wife in the room. It 's cool outside. The forecaster says " It may be very cold today". Then the husband says " I wish it wouldn't be so cold today".
so does the sentence "I wish it wouldn't be so cold today" which the husband has just said express a wish with a future event?

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
I have a sittuation:
A husband is watching the weather forecast programme with his wife in the room. It 's cool outside. The forecaster says " It may be very cold today". Then the husband says " I wish it wouldn't be so cold today".
so does the sentence "I wish it wouldn't be so cold today" which the husband has just said express a wish with a future event?

No! The husband is annoyed at the fact that the weather is cold. [ see my explanations above,please :3b ]

He wishes the weather wouldn`t be so cold.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have a sittuation:
No, we just don't say it that way.
The husband is most likely to say: "I hope it isn't [cold today]."

This construction is usually reserved for habitual, ongoing actions, e.g.
"I wish he wouldn't talk like that!"
"I wish it (my car) wouldn't keep stalling."

It's not normally used for a single event in the present or future.
* "I wish it wouldn't be so cold tonight."

* "I wish my car wouldn't stall tomorrow morning" NO.
"I hope my car doesn't stall tomorrow morning." YES.
"I wish my car wouldn't stall every morning" YES.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a sittuation:

No, it's just a mistake. The forecaster has said it may be cold. The husband hopes it won't be (as in Raymott's '"I hope my car doesn't stall tomorrow morning." )

The husband could be said to wish something; he wishes that he were in a world where it wasn't going to be cold, or he wishes that he were doing something that would protect him from the cold: 'I wish I could stay in bed' ;-)

b

neiht_nart

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
(Afan) Oromo
Home Country
Aaland
Current Location
Aaland
No, it's just a mistake. The forecaster has said it may be cold. The husband hopes it won't be (as in Raymott's '"I hope my car doesn't stall tomorrow morning." )

The husband could be said to wish something; he wishes that he were in a world where it wasn't going to be cold, or he wishes that he were doing something that would protect him from the cold: 'I wish I could stay in bed' ;-)

b

I understood! Thank three of you!^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.