Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to share with me your opinion concerning the usage of the Participle II and Participle I in the sentence bellow?

He saw the figure of old Seraphine coming towards him.
He was like an invalid come downstairs after a long illness.
She would sit watching the fallen leaves of last year, as she had watched the falling ashes at home.
Withholding the money asked of us in the form of extra rents is also our last weapon.
He had received an urgent message asking him to telephone Sir Matthew.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you be kind enough to share with me your opinion concerning the usage of the Participle II and Participle I in the sentence below?

He saw the figure of old Seraphine coming towards him.
He was like an invalid come downstairs after a long illness.
She would sit watching the fallen leaves of last year, as she had watched the falling ashes at home.
Withholding the money asked of us in the form of extra rents is also our last weapon.
He had received an urgent message asking him to telephone Sir Matthew.

You might get a more thorough answer in the Sentence Diagramming Forum, but for me it is helpful to think of the sentences this way:

1 - He saw the figure of old Seraphine (who was) coming towards him.
2 - He was like an invalid (who had) come downstairs after a long illness.
3 - She would sit watching the fallen leaves of (= leaves that had already fallen) last year, as she had watched the falling ashes (= ashes that were continually falling) at home.
4 - Withholding the money (that was) asked of us in the form of extra rents is also our last weapon.
5 - He had received an urgent message (that was) asking him to telephone Sir Matthew.

I hope this helps! :cool:

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.