Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #1

    'It was the first or one of the first' + plural?

    eg

    It was the first or one of the first books to be published

    or

    It was the first book, or one of the first books, to be published

    The first example sounds more natural to me in speech. The second more grammatically correct and so what I'd actually write in more formal English. Any thoughts?

  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #2

    Re: 'It was the first or one of the first' + plural?

    If you like it, take it:
    It was the first book, or one of the firsts, to be published.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,842
    #3

    Re: 'It was the first or one of the first' + plural?

    I think they're both possible- the first sentence seems to link the two together more so both possibilities are recognised, while the second adds a rider in case someone comes up with a little-known earlier book.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #4

    Re: 'It was the first or one of the first' + plural?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I think they're both possible- the first sentence seems to link the two together more so both possibilities are recognised, while the second adds a rider in case someone comes up with a little-known earlier book.
    So, like me, you're OK with 'the first ... books'? And if so, even in formal English?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: 'It was the first or one of the first' + plural?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    So, like me, you're OK with 'the first ... books'? And if so, even in formal English?
    If you want to write it formally, you could say.
    "It was one of the first books, if not the first, to be published."

    Your second version sounds like a clumsy and self-conscious edit to avoid the 'book/s' problem, and hence lacks form. Given your choices, I'd go with the first.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #6

    Re: 'It was the first or one of the first' + plural?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    If you want to write it formally, you could say.
    "It was one of the first books, if not the first, to be published."

    Your second version sounds like a clumsy and self-conscious edit to avoid the 'book/s' problem, and hence lacks form. Given your choices, I'd go with the first.
    Thanks. I wasn't interested in how to rewrite the sentence; I was simply seeking confirmation that the 'first ...books' structure was fine - clearly it is, as I suspected. And I agree that the fastidious avoidance of this with the alternative sentence would indeed be clumsy.

Similar Threads

  1. is with plural
    By PelajarBaru in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2010, 23:20
  2. the plural
    By julianna in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2010, 19:29
  3. Plural amounts in plural objects.
    By Hecquaro in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2007, 16:17
  4. first and last name in plural
    By ewelina in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2006, 18:34
  5. plural?
    By kahhong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2006, 03:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •