Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    giuly90 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    63

    mirrored disco glass

    Dear experts,

    what is the meaning of this expression? I wonder if it is a mistake for "mirrored disco glasses".

    It appears in this sentence:

    “People were even putting up mirrored disco glass in their simple village homes” from the following article:Fluffy Farhad By Negar Azimi | Bidoun Magazine


    Thank you in advance

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,265

    Re: mirrored disco glass

    Quote Originally Posted by giuly90 View Post
    Dear experts,

    what is the meaning of this expression? I wonder if it is a mistake for "mirrored disco glasses".

    It appears in this sentence:

    “People were even putting up mirrored disco glass in their simple village homes” from the following article:Fluffy Farhad By Negar Azimi | Bidoun Magazine


    Thank you in advance
    I think it's probably bits of glass similar to a "disco ball" or "mirror ball". In 1970s discos, hanging from the ceiling would be different-sized balls made up of small pieces of mirror. They would rotate and catch the light, sending very pretty patterns of light over the ceiling, walls and floor.

    Example: http://www.7gadgets.com/wp-content/u.../3428_5481.jpg

  3. #3
    giuly90 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    63

    Re: mirrored disco glass

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I think it's probably bits of glass similar to a "disco ball" or "mirror ball". In 1970s discos, hanging from the ceiling would be different-sized balls made up of small pieces of mirror. They would rotate and catch the light, sending very pretty patterns of light over the ceiling, walls and floor.

    Example: http://www.7gadgets.com/wp-content/u.../3428_5481.jpg
    Thank you, so the meaning is that in these people's houses there were disco balls hanging from the ceiling?

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,265

    Re: mirrored disco glass

    Quote Originally Posted by giuly90 View Post
    Thank you, so the meaning is that in these people's houses there were disco balls hanging from the ceiling?
    It doesn't necessarily mean that they were hanging actual balls, but possibly small pieces of the same type of mirrored glass, or pieces made of several bits of the glass, to catch the light. It also doesn't specify that they were hanging from the ceiling necessarily. They could have hung them in the windows or just about anywhere where the light would hit them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •