• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

between and among

Dear teachers,

1) please take a look at the following passage from a book I am currently reading:
    "But I can give you freedom to overcome any system of power in which you find yourself, be it religious, economic, social or political. You will grow in the freedom to be inside or outside all kinds of systems and to move freely between and among them. Together, you and I can be in it and not of it."
    (The Shack, by Wm. Paul Young)

What is the idea behind the expression "between and among" above?

2) If you search "between and among them" in the Internet you find lots of use of this expression. For instance:
    "The student will demonstrate through the mathematical processes an understanding of the properties of basic geometric figures and the relationships between and among them." (from several sites in the Internet)

Is the idea above related to demonstrating relationships between pairs of geometric figures and among many of them?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

Re: between and among

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Dear teachers,

1) please take a look at the following passage from a book I am currently reading:
    "But I can give you freedom to overcome any system of power in which you find yourself, be it religious, economic, social or political. You will grow in the freedom to be inside or outside all kinds of systems and to move freely between and among them. Together, you and I can be in it and not of it."
    (The Shack, by Wm. Paul Young)

What is the idea behind the expression "between and among" above?

2) If you search "between and among them" in the Internet you find lots of use of this expression. For instance:
    "The student will demonstrate through the mathematical processes an understanding of the properties of basic geometric figures and the relationships between and among them." (from several sites in the Internet)

Is the idea above related to demonstrating relationships between pairs of geometric figures and among many of them?
    *** Not A Teacher ***
    Dear ymnisky,

Between / preposition, adverb SPACE
    in or into the space which separates two places, people or objects.

Among / preposition ( also amongst )
    in the middle of or surrounded by other things.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

It covers all bases- some systems may be connected with two-way traffic (between), but there can also be other relationships connecting more (among).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    It covers all bases- some systems may be connected with two-way traffic (between), but there can also be other relationships connecting more (among).
    That is what I suspected. But I was not sure. I have seen many threads here showing situations where it is difficult to decide whether to use "between" or "among", however this situation using both at the same time is new to me.

Also I think there are many languages in which these two words are translated by only one. I wonder how expressions like "between and among" or "between or among" would be translated.

Well, next time I find myself in doubt whether to use "between" or "among" I will consider using both.