[Vocabulary] What's the difference between "presentation" and "oral report"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi teachers!

I wonder what is the differnece between "presentation" and "oral report".
Here are specific questions I'd like to ask.

1. "presention" is a broader term rather than "oral report". If I'm wrong, can you please explain?

2. Are they same in use and nuance? I mean, both sentences below can be interchangeable withou causing meaning differences. Right?

ex) I have an oral report coming up this week
= I have an oral presentation coming up this week.

3. Whic one of them("presentation" and "oral report") can be more commonly used at middle school level? As far as I'm concerned, at university level, people often use the term "oral report" instead of "presentation".

Thanks a million in advance. Have a great day!!!:lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: What's the difference between "presentation" and "oral report"?

A presentation is a broader term- it could include things like making a sales pitch. There could be differences in the variants of English- in Britain, I didn't hear the term 'oral report' used much in universities.

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Re: What's the difference between "presentation" and "oral report"?

Yeah, I didn't hear the term "oral report" at university level. Many native speakers that I know use the term "presentation" rather than "oral report."
I made a mistake in my writing. (Actually there are much more errors than I've noticed. Please, understand.):lol:

However, whenever I read junior novels about school life, I noticed there are lots of uses of the term"oral report" in them. That's why I am curious about the difference between "oral report" and "presentation". To me as a non-native speaker's perspective, it seems that the term "oral reprot" meaning "presentation" is commonly used only in primary and secondary school classroom. I'm not sure I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.