Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #1

    Cool all that or all what

    In the sentence:

    He's a true melancholic young man with all that means accepting melancholy (maybe being a melancholic one) in a world melancholy has been expelled from.

    My problem is in "all that" or "all what"

    Which one is the right one?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 02-Jun-2010 at 13:29.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #2

    Re: all that or all what

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    If a person is melancholic, that person will tend to be sad, lack energy, have little ambition, not careful of personal appearance, and generally quite. These descriptions are part of "all that" a melancholic person is like.
    Hmm I understand neither the original nor your correction. Punctuation would help (but unfortunately it helps identify the sentence as meaningless!) The man is melancholic, with all that implies [colon or dash or comma or some word or words to introduce the list].

    b

  3. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #3

    Cool Re: all that or all what

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    If a person is melancholic, that person will tend to be sad, lack energy, have little ambition, not careful of personal appearance, and generally quite. These descriptions are part of "all that" a melancholic person is like.
    How about this sentence with changes:

    He's a true melancholic young man with all that being a melancholic one means in a world melancholy has been expelled from.

    Does it make sense? The sentence is saying that being a melancholic one,a true melancholic one, in this world is not easy because melancholy has been expelled from it. So being a melancholic man, with all that implies, is like being a rara avis, someone who doesn't fit the environment.

    Thanks
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 02-Jun-2010 at 16:09.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #4

    Re: all that or all what

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    How about this sentence with changes:

    He's a true melancholic young man with all that being a melancholic one means in a world melancholy has been expelled from.

    Does it make sense? The sentence is saying that being a melancholic one,a true melancholic one, in this world is not easy because melancholy has been expelled from it. So being a melancholic man, with all that implies, is like being a rara avis, someone who doesn't fit the environment.

    Thanks
    He's a true melancholic, with all that that implies, in a world where melancholy
    [has no hold]
    [is denied][has lost] its [allure][lustre][power to seduce][standing][romance]

    He's a true melancholic, with all that that implies, in a world that denies melancholy its [allure][lustre][power to seduce][standing][romance]

    A few possibilities, but I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by 'expelled' so I could be completely off the ball with my suggestions. Also, I'm somewhat frustrated with 'all that that implies' - it lazily assumes I know what melancholy implies, but I don't. If you're going to write that, tell me what melancholy implies; if you're not going to tell me, don't write it.

  4. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #5

    Cool Re: all that or all what

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    He's a true melancholic, with all that that implies, in a world where melancholy
    [has no hold]
    [is denied][has lost] its [allure][lustre][power to seduce][standing][romance]

    He's a true melancholic, with all that that implies, in a world that denies melancholy its [allure][lustre][power to seduce][standing][romance]

    A few possibilities, but I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by 'expelled' so I could be completely off the ball with my suggestions. Also, I'm somewhat frustrated with 'all that that implies' - it lazily assumes I know what melancholy implies, but I don't. If you're going to write that, tell me what melancholy implies; if you're not going to tell me, don't write it.
    expell is for kick out, in a metaphorical way: putting it out of this world, forgetting melancholy, ignoring what it is.
    I infer "all that that implies" means accepting being a mellancholic man in a world in which he will be seen as a "rara avis".

    Hope this help. I know it is not a clear sentence but I'm doing my best from a sentence in Spanish which is also not clear.

    Thank You

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #6

    Re: all that or all what

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    expell is for kick out, in a metaphorical way: putting it out of this world, forgetting melancholy, ignoring what it is.
    I infer "all that that implies" means accepting being a mellancholic man in a world in which he will be seen as a "rara avis".

    Hope this help. I know it is not a clear sentence but I'm doing my best from a sentence in Spanish which is also not clear.

    Thank You
    Ah, how about '... in a world that [has turned its back on melancholy][denies melancholy its place]?

    And no 'in all that that implies' means 'in all ways [that a person is melancholic]' - see Gillnetter's response above for ways in which a person is melancholic

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •