[Grammar] I would have attended at my won expense, however, because these courses were valuable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferdie11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi,

Is this sentence correct? Being 'however" and "because" too close to each other?

My employer paid my registration fees. I would have attended at my won expense, however, because these courses were valuable to improving my productivity.

Thanks.

Ferdie11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi Teachers,

Would you please answer this question.

Thanks.

Jay Louise

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Is this sentence correct? Being 'however" and "because" too close to each other?

My employer paid my registration fees. I would have attended at my won expense, however, because these courses were valuable to improving my productivity.

Thanks.

**I am not a teacher**

I believe you mean "own expense". Other than that, I don't see a problem. You could replace "because" with "since" and/or remove "however" if you wanted, but it is fine just as it is.

sevo1987

Member Type
Student or Learner
In my humble opinion the word "because" in this sentence is expandable. By eliminating that word, the structure of the sentence appears more grammatical and stronger. Although I could be wrong, I'm not a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In my humble opinion the word "because" in this sentence is expandable. By eliminating that word, the structure of the sentence appears more grammatical and stronger. Although I could be wrong, I'm not a teacher.
I think you mean "because" is expendable. You can't make it any bigger!

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Thanks.

Fine or 'However, I would have attended at my own expense because these courses were valuable to improving my productivity'.

I would have said 'valuable [to me] in improving ...' but I'm not sure 'valuable to improving' is wrong. Also, have the courses finished? If not, 'are valuable'.

Status
Not open for further replies.