Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
To, IOA(Olympic Committee)

We are very glad to inform you that we have missed the deadline for sending confirmation to Asian Games Committee for our participation in the cricket, which has been included in the Asian Games for the first time. Anyways, we already have other commercial commitments, which are more important to us than the national pride. If we would have participated in the Asian Games, maximum we could get out of it is Gold metal. Agreed the price of the metal is at the peak, but in no ways you can compare it with the goldmines we get while playing other tournaments, specially IPL. Let’s be honest! Apart from yellow metal, that all only if we win, there is no prize-money. In other tournaments, we win or loss our cash coffers always overflows!
Your Excellency should not forget that Cricket is no more sports, but a business proposition. Our vision is clear to make money and mission is to make Indian public fool.
If still you have any queries, we request you not to send it to us. Because it would be waste of time for you, as we strictly adhere to our policy – ‘unaccountable to none’.

:-oFrom BCCI(Cricket Board)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

We are very glad to inform you that we have missed the deadline for sending confirmation to the Asian Games Committee of our participation in the cricket, which has been included in the Asian Games for the first time. Anyway, we already have other commercial commitments, which are more important to us than our national pride. If we [STRIKE]would have[/STRIKE] [No!] had participated in the Asian Games, the maximum we could get out of it is the Gold medal. Agreed, the price of the metal is at a peak, but in no way can you [inversion] compare it with the goldmines we get from playing other tournaments, specially IPL. Let’s be honest! Apart from the yellow medal, [STRIKE]that all only[/STRIKE] which is all we get if we win, there is no prize-money. In other tournaments, whether we win or lose, our cash coffers always overflow!
Your Excellency should not forget that cricket is no longer a sport, but a business venture. Our vision is clear: to make money. And our mission is to make Indians public fools.
If you still have any queries, we request you not to send them to us, because it would be a waste of time for both of us, as we strictly adhere to our policy – ‘accountable[?] to no one’.

A good attempt.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

We are very glad to inform you that we have missed the deadline for sending confirmation to the Asian Games Committee for our participation in the cricket, which has been included in the Asian Games for the first time. Anyway[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE], we already have other commercial commitments, which are more important to us than [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] national pride. If we [STRIKE]would have[/STRIKE] were to participate[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] in the Asian Games, the maximum we could get out of it [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] would be a gold medal. Agreed, the price of [STRIKE]the metal[/STRIKE] gold is at [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] its peak, but in no way[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]you can[/STRIKE] can you compare it [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] to the goldmines ?treasures? we can get [STRIKE]while[/STRIKE] by playing in other tournaments, especially IPL. Let’s be honest, apart from yellow metal, [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] which is all we would get [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] if we win, there is no prize-money. In other tournaments, whether we win or [STRIKE]loss[/STRIKE] lose, our cash coffers always overflow[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]!
Your Excellency should not forget that cricket is no [STRIKE]more [/STRIKE] longer a sport[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE], but a business proposition. Our vision is clear - to make money, and our mission is to make fools of the Indian public [STRIKE]fool[/STRIKE].
If [STRIKE]still [/STRIKE]you still have any queries, we request you not to send [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them to us. [STRIKE]Because[/STRIKE] It would be waste of time for you, as we strictly adhere to our policy – ‘unaccountable to none’.

Having read only the first few words initially, I hadn't spotted the ironic nature of the letter! Very funny!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Having read only the first few words initially, I hadn't spotted the ironic nature of the letter! Very funny!
But isn't your correction essentially the same as the one I'd done?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But isn't your correction essentially the same as the one I'd done?

Sorry, Raymott, you must have been posting while I was (admittedly very slowly) doing mine and when I hit submit, I had no idea you already had! I've only just found it.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

We are very glad to inform you that we have missed the deadline in (for) sending a confirmation to the Asian Games Committee for our participation in the cricket, which has been included in the Asian Games for the first time. (Anyways)Frankly speaking, we already have other commercial commitments, which are more important to us than (the) our national pride. If we were to (would have) participate in the Asian Games, the maximum that (we) could happen (get out of it is) would be agold medal for us. Agreed, the price of the (metal) gold is at (the) its peak, but in no way(s) you can compare it with the goldmines we operate (get) while playing other tournaments, especially the IPL. Let’s be honest! apart from yellow metal, that is all (only if) we can expect to win and nothing more, when there is no prize-money. In other tournaments, whether we win or lose, our cash coffers always overflows!
Your Excellency should not forget that Cricket is no more a sports, but a business proposition. Our vision is clear, that is to make money and mission is to befool (make) Indian public (fool).
If you still have any queries, we request you not to send those (it) to us. Obviously (Because) it would be waste of time for you, as we strictly adhere to our policy – ‘unaccountable to none’.

You can also try this version. This is an excellent piece of humor to justify the role of BCCI the great, as a money spinning machine rather than the promoter of cricket.

Don't forget to delete words in brackets.

Last edited:

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sorry, Raymott, you must have been posting while I was (admittedly very slowly) doing mine and when I hit submit, I had no idea you already had! I've only just found it.

Thanks you both of you for your kind time to rectify my errors.

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
A good attempt.

Thanks a lot for your kind time,

I just need to know the following:

1. confirmation to the Asian Games Committee of our participation in the cricket,

of / for can I use any preposition above?

2. If we would have [No!] had participated in the Asian Games, the maximum we could get out of it is the Gold medal.

Asian Games is to be held in the Nov 2010, if we had participated...does not it points to past tenses? I might to wrong please advise.

3. Agreed, the price of the metal is at a peak, but in no way can you [inversion] compare it with the goldmines we get from playing other tournaments,

what does inversion implies?

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You can also try this version. This is an excellent piece of humor to justify the role of BCCI the great, as a money spinning machine rather than the promoter of cricket.

Don't forget to delete words in brackets.

I owe your valuable time to me.

I think in the last line it should be

'accountable to none' or 'unaccountable to everyone'

Regards,

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I owe your valuable time to me.

I think in the last line it should be

'accountable to none' or 'unaccountable to everyone'

Regards,

Yes, you are right. Being an oversight, it has been corrected.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks a lot for your kind time,

I just need to know the following:

1. confirmation to theAsian Games Committee of our participation in the cricket,
of / for can I use any preposition above?

"of" is better. You send confirmation 'of' something, not 'for' something.
It's similar to "I advise you of ..." Not 'for'.

2. If we would have [No!] hadparticipated in the Asian Games, the maximum we could get out of it is the Gold medal.

Asian Games is to be held in the Nov 2010, if we had participated...does not it points to past tenses? I might to wrong please advise.
Yes, that's a good point. It would be better as "If we were to participate ..."
We do use the simple past form for the future in conditional sentences: "If we were to participate..."; "If we participated next year, we might win".

But you can't say "If we would have .." It's not grammatical under any normal circumstances.

3. Agreed, the price of the metal is at a peak, but in no way can you [inversion] compare it with the goldmines we get from playing other tournaments,

what does inversion implies?
The subject and verb switch position.
We can not do that.
No way can we do that.

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.