[Grammar] What's wrong with it if I say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

"I made a cake this morning. It was delicious, would you like some?"

Would you please show me why it is inappropriate in the above sentences if I use "it was delicious". What does 'it was delicious' imply?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

"I made a cake this morning. It was delicious, would you like some?"

Would you please show me why it is inappropriate in the above sentences if I use "it was delicious". What does 'it was delicious' imply?

I guess the problem is that "It was delicious" suggests that the cake is gone/finished/has been eaten. If that is the case, then it is impossible to say "Would you like some?" because it appears there is none left.

If you say "I made a cake this morning. It is delicious." OR "I made a delicious cake this morning" then there is no suggestion that it has all been eaten, and therefore it is perfectly reasonable that you are offering someone a piece of the cake.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(It also had a comma splice. You need something other than a comma (a period, a semi-colon, even a dash, perhaps) after "delicious.")

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with emsr2d2 that it sounds like it's finished. This is because the 'it' in 'it was delicious' means the cake. However, if you say:

'My mum made a cake this morning. I had a slice and it was delicous. ... Would you like some?'

the 'it' means 'a slice' so the sentence is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.